How powerfull does a PC have to be

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am putting together my first music server, running JRiver 17. I will be running 192 / 32 out of it. I need some advice on how fast a processor and how much memory I need. Any advice on keeping it quiet is helpful as well. I did not find any good thread when I searched. Thanks

As powerful and modern as you can afford.

If you look at the prices of the latest i9 then the lesser i7, i5, i3 and on down towards Q6600 and lower, you will notice that there is a definite price "knee".

Although the lower processor will certainly do the job you may struggle to get motherboard and peripherals to work with it. Manufacturers like to con us into continuing to buy "new".

So like I said. Rolls Royce may be far too expensive but why buy a Talbot Horizon when you can get a mid ranger for reasonable money.

The boy next door (Flea-Bay) is a good place to pick up yesterdays computers from guys that just have to have the latest and best computer.

I agree 100% with what KatieandDad has said above me, at least when it comes to buying a PC with performance in mind at a semi reasonable price. The fastest stuff, or close to and top tier of PC parts always cost significantly more then their lower spec'd (read the last quaters) top performers. As K&D mentions there is always a knee in the prices where they jump up significantly for that last 5-10% in performance.

Of course this isn't what you were asking mind you, but streaming audio doesn't typically use that much processing power, any of the cheap modern processors will be more then enough. Streaming high quality compressed video on the other hand can use quite a bit, but any decent modern processor, once again, should be more then up to the task.

Memory is more of an operating system issue. You can of course use full file buffering for playback, where the entire track is loaded into RAM before the file is played, but most audio files tend to be quite small.

I will also agree with the last two posts.
At the moment I use a Compaq E-400 with 1.5Tb disk, when used with a single squeezebox, no problem, but when everyone else wants to link up with Xboxes, DVD players etc, it soon goes down hill. I am going to get a proper server set up when i can afford, to control my media. I did read a recomendation that said one core and 2GB of memory per user...I cant confirm as I am new to PC based media.

My son is running a 4 year old Atom ITX and it does video and audio fine. That said, watch out for the ITX running i-series processors.

I was waiting for the D2700-ITX to come out but gave up on it after doing a bunch of research and went with a small case standard mini-ATX system. The D2700 ITX with an i3 or i5, would have required a fan any way, and the power supply would have had a fan, so no fanless system.

You can go fanless if you go with an Atom processor.

As mentioned, for audio streaming most anything made in the last decade (and then some) will basically do from a computing power perspective. Obviously an older system would require a SATA controller for a modern-day harddrive (Silicon Image chip recommended). Otherwise it just depends on how energy-efficient, silent and compact you want the thing to be - I wouldn't recommend something with an early-stepping Prescott P4, for example. Reliability is another factor.

About 10 W from the mains with one of them Atom boards (during HD video playback no less) obviously looks intriguing, especially for a machine that's always on. That being said, if you don't need 24/7 operation or want more computing power or upgrade flexibility, there is a number of other options, like a custom build with low-power desktop processors (see last page) or even a used big-name office PC.

This one is completely silent. (no moving parts)

VekUG.jpg

Its an intel ITX with an i5 and an SSD There are 3 heatpipes going to the CPU from the heatsink on the side. it barely gets above ambient under normal use, when its working really hard for a long time the heatsinks start to feel warm, but not hot.

the heatsinks were from heatsinkUSA, some metal i had lying about, and the heatpipes were salvaged from an old PC heatsink.

to bend them you just need a long spring which fits around the heatpipe. I tried a pipe bender but it was not good (but it was a really crappy one)

I still have to finish the front panel and power switch button. as it is now i have to stick a toothpick in the hole to start it!

I amvery happy with its performance and reliability, and especially..silence.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.