How powerfull does a PC have to be - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th March 2012, 09:05 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default How powerfull does a PC have to be

I am putting together my first music server, running JRiver 17. I will be running 192 / 32 out of it. I need some advice on how fast a processor and how much memory I need. Any advice on keeping it quiet is helpful as well. I did not find any good thread when I searched. Thanks
Old 8th March 2012, 09:09 PM   #2
parb is offline parb  United States
diyAudio Member

i doubt you need very much. the forums for video says you can run this software with video encoders on a core i3. memory wise 2GB of ram is cheap and doesnt create much heat.

this place is great for getting input on component selection for silent computers:
silentpcreview.com | Everything about Silent / Quiet Computers
Old 9th March 2012, 01:38 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Once upon a time I had a blue&white Mac featuring a 350MHz processor with 637Mb of memory.
I had no problems running 16 channels of 24/96 audio simultaneously.
Old 9th March 2012, 01:46 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Location: Barrio Garay,Almirante Brown, Buenos Aires, Argentina
I have an old AM486 running DOS 7.10, and MPXPLAY159. This is sufficient. And donīt has blue screens !!!
Old 9th March 2012, 01:54 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

As powerful and modern as you can afford.

If you look at the prices of the latest i9 then the lesser i7, i5, i3 and on down towards Q6600 and lower, you will notice that there is a definite price "knee".

Although the lower processor will certainly do the job you may struggle to get motherboard and peripherals to work with it. Manufacturers like to con us into continuing to buy "new".

So like I said. Rolls Royce may be far too expensive but why buy a Talbot Horizon when you can get a mid ranger for reasonable money.

The boy next door (Flea-Bay) is a good place to pick up yesterdays computers from guys that just have to have the latest and best computer.
Old 10th March 2012, 12:19 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I agree 100% with what KatieandDad has said above me, at least when it comes to buying a PC with performance in mind at a semi reasonable price. The fastest stuff, or close to and top tier of PC parts always cost significantly more then their lower spec'd (read the last quaters) top performers. As K&D mentions there is always a knee in the prices where they jump up significantly for that last 5-10% in performance.

Of course this isn't what you were asking mind you, but streaming audio doesn't typically use that much processing power, any of the cheap modern processors will be more then enough. Streaming high quality compressed video on the other hand can use quite a bit, but any decent modern processor, once again, should be more then up to the task.

Memory is more of an operating system issue. You can of course use full file buffering for playback, where the entire track is loaded into RAM before the file is played, but most audio files tend to be quite small.
Old 10th March 2012, 09:10 AM   #7
marce is online now marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I will also agree with the last two posts.
At the moment I use a Compaq E-400 with 1.5Tb disk, when used with a single squeezebox, no problem, but when everyone else wants to link up with Xboxes, DVD players etc, it soon goes down hill. I am going to get a proper server set up when i can afford, to control my media. I did read a recomendation that said one core and 2GB of memory per user...I cant confirm as I am new to PC based media.
Old 14th March 2012, 06:29 PM   #8
PB2 is offline PB2  United States
diyAudio Member

Are you planning to do video from it also?
Old 14th March 2012, 09:03 PM   #9
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

My son is running a 4 year old Atom ITX and it does video and audio fine. That said, watch out for the ITX running i-series processors.

I was waiting for the D2700-ITX to come out but gave up on it after doing a bunch of research and went with a small case standard mini-ATX system. The D2700 ITX with an i3 or i5, would have required a fan any way, and the power supply would have had a fan, so no fanless system.

You can go fanless if you go with an Atom processor.
Old 15th March 2012, 09:05 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I'm running ..
Intel Core i3-2120T 35W $135
Sythe Ninja 3 cooler $40, fanless
ITX motherboard $85
8GB memory $40
PicoPSU-150-XT $70, fanless
SSD 120GB was $200
cheap case $50, side opened
around $600 + Win7.

Hide this!Advertise here!