How powerfull does a PC have to be - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th March 2012, 03:40 PM   #11
LAJ is offline LAJ  United States
diyAudio Member

Default I'm running...

Direttore Demo on a P II Intel box under Win ME with 128Mb of ram. I think the ram specification is the most important think in a music box.
I don't run any video on it as I use another box to do that.
Old 27th March 2012, 04:15 PM   #12
Account disabled at member's request

Intel's new atom board ( DN2800MT ) looks good - here's a discussion of its use:

SPCR • View topic - Intel DN2800MT hands on...Single digit world?
Old 27th March 2012, 10:26 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

As mentioned, for audio streaming most anything made in the last decade (and then some) will basically do from a computing power perspective. Obviously an older system would require a SATA controller for a modern-day harddrive (Silicon Image chip recommended). Otherwise it just depends on how energy-efficient, silent and compact you want the thing to be - I wouldn't recommend something with an early-stepping Prescott P4, for example. Reliability is another factor.

About 10 W from the mains with one of them Atom boards (during HD video playback no less) obviously looks intriguing, especially for a machine that's always on. That being said, if you don't need 24/7 operation or want more computing power or upgrade flexibility, there is a number of other options, like a custom build with low-power desktop processors (see last page) or even a used big-name office PC.
Old 3rd April 2012, 11:32 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

You should upgrade your RAM and processor which can support your video and audio fastly for more information take Mac OS Support.
Old 3rd April 2012, 08:20 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

This one is completely silent. (no moving parts)

Click the image to open in full size.

Its an intel ITX with an i5 and an SSD There are 3 heatpipes going to the CPU from the heatsink on the side. it barely gets above ambient under normal use, when its working really hard for a long time the heatsinks start to feel warm, but not hot.

the heatsinks were from heatsinkUSA, some metal i had lying about, and the heatpipes were salvaged from an old PC heatsink.

to bend them you just need a long spring which fits around the heatpipe. I tried a pipe bender but it was not good (but it was a really crappy one)

I still have to finish the front panel and power switch button. as it is now i have to stick a toothpick in the hole to start it!

I amvery happy with its performance and reliability, and especially..silence.

Hide this!Advertise here!