Asus Essence STX Extension Oustide The Case? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th February 2012, 04:21 PM   #1
Drweird is offline Drweird  India
diyAudio Member

Default Asus Essence STX Extension Oustide The Case?

Hey all,
My current setup is my onboard dac into a LM4780 Amp powering a pair of cheap sony/aiwa bookshelf speakers. While I've been happy with the results considering the lack of any real investment; I'm planning to upgrade to a decent setup over the coming months. The dac looked like good place to start, i like the asus essense stx (its pretty cheap for what it offers).
So my question is: If i placed the essense outside my pc case and hooked it up to the mobo using a pci-e x1 cable, a) would that improve the EMI and noise situation? b) what are the cons (if any) latency or any other degradation? c)how much of an extension is possible?
Old 28th February 2012, 12:10 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

The STX is shielded already. Any interference that you might get is via the power supply...
Old 28th February 2012, 06:21 AM   #3
Raj1 is offline Raj1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drweird View Post
Hey all,
My current setup is my onboard dac into a LM4780 Amp powering a pair of cheap sony/aiwa bookshelf speakers. While I've been happy with the results considering the lack of any real investment; I'm planning to upgrade to a decent setup over the coming months. The dac looked like good place to start, i like the asus essense stx (its pretty cheap for what it offers).
So my question is: If i placed the essense outside my pc case and hooked it up to the mobo using a pci-e x1 cable, a) would that improve the EMI and noise situation? b) what are the cons (if any) latency or any other degradation? c)how much of an extension is possible?
There would be a minor hit in latency. Also if the system is overclocked it can induce some instability when extender cables are used. A card like this I would probably mod to battery power if possible (although it would be cumbersome to do).
Old 28th February 2012, 07:39 AM   #4
Drweird is offline Drweird  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
There would be a minor hit in latency. Also if the system is overclocked it can induce some instability when extender cables are used. A card like this I would probably mod to battery power if possible (although it would be cumbersome to do).
My cpu is a core i3 2100 so cant be overclocked the ram is stock as well. How about a linear PSU for powering the card?
Old 28th February 2012, 08:39 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

If well done it will better a standard switchmode ATX supply in terms of noise.
Old 28th February 2012, 11:44 AM   #6
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Start with the speakers, you'll get the best improvement.
Most of the noise in a PC is generated by the digital switching, not the power supply.
How can this be...you say... Simultaneous switching noise.
Having worked on a high reliability communications system running of battery power with a linear main supply (soon to be SMPS) the noise was there with both power supplies.

Last edited by marce; 28th February 2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old 28th February 2012, 11:55 AM   #7
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Oh and moving the card outside the PCB is not going to do the digital signal integrity any good.
Old 28th February 2012, 01:28 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Yeah, PS ripple and switching noise has no effect on sonics or SNR ratios in the audio domain...
Old 28th February 2012, 02:13 PM   #9
i2k92 is offline i2k92  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

why dont you get an external dac instead of gambling with external internal sound card idea ? there are many decent dac at that price point.
Old 28th February 2012, 03:09 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj1 View Post
Yeah, PS ripple and switching noise has no effect on sonics or SNR ratios in the audio domain...
Well actually the STX uses extensive CLC filtering to make sure that any high frequency switching noise from the PSU is reduced to a minimum.

The SNR ratio of the card is on a par with some of the best audio equipment too. Stereophile's measurements of the card speak for themselves really.

Hide this!Advertise here!