diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   PC Based (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/)
-   -   Asus Essence STX Extension Oustide The Case? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/207669-asus-essence-stx-extension-oustide-case.html)

Drweird 27th February 2012 04:21 PM

Asus Essence STX Extension Oustide The Case?

Hey all,
My current setup is my onboard dac into a LM4780 Amp powering a pair of cheap sony/aiwa bookshelf speakers. While I've been happy with the results considering the lack of any real investment; I'm planning to upgrade to a decent setup over the coming months. The dac looked like good place to start, i like the asus essense stx (its pretty cheap for what it offers).
So my question is: If i placed the essense outside my pc case and hooked it up to the mobo using a pci-e x1 cable, a) would that improve the EMI and noise situation? b) what are the cons (if any) latency or any other degradation? c)how much of an extension is possible?

SoNic_real_one 28th February 2012 12:10 AM

The STX is shielded already. Any interference that you might get is via the power supply...

Raj1 28th February 2012 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drweird (Post 2925049)
Hey all,
My current setup is my onboard dac into a LM4780 Amp powering a pair of cheap sony/aiwa bookshelf speakers. While I've been happy with the results considering the lack of any real investment; I'm planning to upgrade to a decent setup over the coming months. The dac looked like good place to start, i like the asus essense stx (its pretty cheap for what it offers).
So my question is: If i placed the essense outside my pc case and hooked it up to the mobo using a pci-e x1 cable, a) would that improve the EMI and noise situation? b) what are the cons (if any) latency or any other degradation? c)how much of an extension is possible?

There would be a minor hit in latency. Also if the system is overclocked it can induce some instability when extender cables are used. A card like this I would probably mod to battery power if possible (although it would be cumbersome to do).

Drweird 28th February 2012 07:39 AM

Quote:

There would be a minor hit in latency. Also if the system is overclocked it can induce some instability when extender cables are used. A card like this I would probably mod to battery power if possible (although it would be cumbersome to do).
My cpu is a core i3 2100 so cant be overclocked the ram is stock as well. How about a linear PSU for powering the card?

Raj1 28th February 2012 08:39 AM

If well done it will better a standard switchmode ATX supply in terms of noise.

marce 28th February 2012 11:44 AM

Start with the speakers, you'll get the best improvement.
Most of the noise in a PC is generated by the digital switching, not the power supply.
How can this be...you say... Simultaneous switching noise.
Having worked on a high reliability communications system running of battery power with a linear main supply (soon to be SMPS) the noise was there with both power supplies.

marce 28th February 2012 11:55 AM

Oh and moving the card outside the PCB is not going to do the digital signal integrity any good.

Raj1 28th February 2012 01:28 PM

Yeah, PS ripple and switching noise has no effect on sonics or SNR ratios in the audio domain... :rolleyes:

i2k92 28th February 2012 02:13 PM

why dont you get an external dac instead of gambling with external internal sound card idea ? there are many decent dac at that price point.

5th element 28th February 2012 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raj1 (Post 2926389)
Yeah, PS ripple and switching noise has no effect on sonics or SNR ratios in the audio domain... :rolleyes:

Well actually the STX uses extensive CLC filtering to make sure that any high frequency switching noise from the PSU is reduced to a minimum.

The SNR ratio of the card is on a par with some of the best audio equipment too. Stereophile's measurements of the card speak for themselves really.