Windows based crossover/convolver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi.

Im new in this pc based convoler world and have only used dedicated DSP's so far. Im interrested in building a pc based crossoversystem.

My requirements:

1. 4/6 Channels
2. Convolving of my own impulseresponses from matlab (.txt / .dat) (FIR FILTER)
3. SPDIF output would be nice (for all channels)
4. Work with winamp or similar good player software
5. Windows based

Is this possible and/or does it exist?

Probably a very dumb question (and a bit off topic too) for PC-Audio affecionados, but is there any reason why one could (better) not use a standard quality sound cards such as e.q. Creative, Asus or M-Audio cards with Allocator or Sound Easy?

Kind regards,

Eelco

qusp -> perhaps im just not looking carefully enough, but i really cant find anywhere on allocators website where it states that it can be used with custom FIR coefficients.

Henckel -> i will have a closer look on that one, do you use this yourself or are you familiar with the software?

Boden -> The most soundcards (even the cheap ones) today are far better than recorded material you play on them in terms of noise, dynamic range and distorition: they are also better than the rest of your audio chain including amplifier, speakers and so on.

actually it might be his linux implementations for the sandy bridge chipset that use the FIR, but i do know he certainly is a fan of FIR brutFIR to be more specific. you can actually find some info here on the forum that allows you to basically run his most modern digi XO applications for free, using calls that directly access the sandybridge chipset's vector engine to do the calcs. i'll see if i can find some links for you tomorrow, its getting late here

The easiest approach at this point may be JRiver V17. It has recently added a full convolution engine that can be used in both music and video applications. I haven't tried it yet, but assuming it works as expected it would seem to be the most attractive setup under Windows. It may have somewhat higher hardware requirements than something like a BruteFIR/Linux solution, though.

hi all,

Pls excuse my ignorance, Im new to PC based XOs.

If I use FIR XOs I understand I can use foobar2000 for audio but if I wanted to watch DVDs will the video be out of synch with the audio because of the latency the FIR filters introduce? Also, how do I stream web radios or spotify or youtube through the FIR software?

Thanx in advance ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.