Multi-Room/Multi-Zone Audio Setup

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been searching around and trying to figure out the best way to create a multi-room multi-zoned setup on the relatively inexpensive side. This rules out a Sonos or Squeezebox based solution as they are both too expensive to implement.

Currently I am looking at using an alix3d3 PC Engines alix3d3 product file board as it supports POE and has an stereo audio output removing the need for at least one power plug at the output source.

Ideally what I would like to be able to accomplish with this system is have 3 zones run by a board a piece pulling my music from my linux server. With these 3 zones I would like to be able to either play a different song in each zone or have a single song synced among the zones akin to Sonos.
I have played with MPD (music player daemon) which installs easily using the voyager-mpd linux install and works well for a single output at a time, but not multiple zones as far as I can tell.

Has anyone been able to accomplish something like this and are there instructions for diy?

Last edited:
Well after a little bit of playing over the last couple of days I believe I am going to try Squeezebox server driving the aforementioned hardware components with Squeezeslave. A few tests with a laptop running Voyager-linux with a freshly compiled Squeezeslave instance and the windows client running on my main pc and I think I am sold on how things are working as well as how to control them via android or iphone. The only quirk I have found thus far is that the only place I can set them to synchronized play is from the server webpage and not from the phone (android).

Well here's what I have ended up doing:
Spun up a VM on my ESX server and installed Ubuntu Server 10.04 x64 base install and updates.
Installed Logitech Media Server using repository instructions Debian Package - SqueezeboxWiki
Installed Voyage Linux on a spare laptop and compiled Squeezeslave from source SqueezeSlave - SqueezeboxWiki

Installed Voyage Linux on CF Card and setup Alix hardware
for use with X (alix3d3/alix1d):
changes in "/etc/inittab":
comment "T0:23:respawn:/sbin/getty –L ttyS0"
uncomment "#1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty –L tty1"

changes in "/boot/grub/menu.lst":
"terminal serial" replace with "terminal console"
"kernel … console=ttyS0" replace with "… console=tty0"
comment "serial --speed=38400"

Copied compiled Squeezeslave from spare laptop to Alix hardware CF card and setup an automated startup daemon script.

Now I am running the Alix Squeezeslave over POE and have some speakers hooked up to the analog audio output.
With this hardware I have the option of adding a display later in case I want to have something shown
as well as adding a high quality USB DAC at a later date.

And the materials:
$130.60 Shipped ALIX 3d3 System board alix3d3
$11.85 Shipped 18V DC Adapter 18V DC Power Adapter (1A Output, 100-240V AC Input, 2.1mm ID / 5.5mm OD) - PI Manufacturing Corp.
$15.99 Shipped Sandisk Ultra 4GB CF Card http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002T84DQI/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

$3.99 Power Over Ethernet Injector POE
$12.50 Indoor enclosure for ALIX.3 Boards box2c
$0.98 I/O Bracket for Alix.3D3 I/O Bracket for Alix.3D3
$2.75 Shipping

$178.66 Total Cost

I am looking for information on the Network Audio Processor PRN NAP CobraNet as I have a few of them. I have them working and can route bundles and such but the outputs are on the order of mic level out of the RCA jacks. Is there a way to increase that to Line level? is that a software function? anyone know? I am sending a line level on the other end of the bundle and have verified that. I don't find anything obvious in the SNMP MIB. No jumpers on the board that have any effect either. Thoughts anyone?

thanks

PRN NAP

FYI I have one PRN NAP. I also found it had low audio levels on most ports. I'm still experimenting, however you can edit the bundle assignments and the like by using the free software from Atterotech. Anybody else get any place with these?

In my house I'm using a Biamp AudiaFlex as the brains, and added a few of their EXPI and EXPO via Cobranet network. I also added a couple of the Atterotech boxes for local I/O.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.