Rasberry Pi and active crossover revolution - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2012, 07:18 PM   #1
oublie is offline oublie  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Rasberry Pi and active crossover revolution

Hi folks,

Just an update, ive been following with some interest the evolution of the Rasberry Pi computer concept Raspberry Pi | An ARM GNU/Linux box for $25. Take a byte! Production has just started so my plan is to possibly use one of these little computer per speaker to act as an active crossover using a digital in connection split from my ht receiver and then using the processing power to run active crossovers and possibly some form of DRC signal processing. What do you think? Could it be done or am i asking too much from such a low end processor.
Old 14th January 2012, 08:23 PM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Someone needs to try it to find out...

dave
Old 14th January 2012, 09:02 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thats me then i love the idea of designing computer controlled crossover that are cheap as dirt and work hopefully ill report back once i receive my first production device.
Old 14th January 2012, 09:10 PM   #4
fluxarc is offline fluxarc  Canada
diyAudio Member

Interesting. If you're willing to have each speaker plugged into the wall (because you will have to have an amplifier in each speaker along with the raspberry pi), you could also have a wireless unit (say bluetooth) so that the speakers don't even need wires. They just talk to a "master" unit that's connected to your audio source.
Old 14th January 2012, 09:42 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Its a home cinema still in build stage 6 15" sub 64 mids 200 tweets1080p projector with screen using computer connected Xbox kinect to control via voice and motion early days but I will get there. atm the idea of spending 25 per speaker on good quality crossover technology embedded in the stud walls is pretty good compared with the insanity of purchasing something which I don't know and don't trust
Old 14th January 2012, 09:44 PM   #6
fluxarc is offline fluxarc  Canada
diyAudio Member

wow! you're a true audiophile! i'd love to see pictures of this setup when you're done!
Old 14th January 2012, 10:06 PM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxarc View Post
you could also have a wireless unit (say bluetooth) so that the speakers don't even need wires.
Bluetooth doesn't have the bandwidth for decent fidelity

dave
Old 14th January 2012, 10:14 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I wouldn't even consider Bluetooth as an option personally
Old 18th January 2012, 04:27 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

The raspberry pi website has a video of someone running an airplay receiver app in Ubuntu on a Pi board. Looked pretty good! Audio only wouldnt be a problem I am guessing.

KM
Old 18th January 2012, 01:47 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

You will probably need something like "brutefir" as convolver for doing the active crossover or some kind of drc.

I think if brutefir will be in the repos, it is possible to do some stereo concolving (e.g Roomcorrection) on Rpi.

I am running brutefir (Stereo convolving) on an IBM TP20 PIII@850 Mhz it takes only about 20% of prozessor capacity (TinyCore Linux), so i think (hope) RPi would be strong enough.

I planning to use this little thing for this purpose too...

Regards

sky

Hide this!Advertise here!