Rasberry Pi and active crossover revolution - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th December 2012, 08:26 PM   #61
Crumboo is offline Crumboo  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Anyone know if the Raspberry Pi is capable of running BruteFIR yet? It would be a very nice solution!
Old 14th December 2012, 08:53 PM   #62
Neil_J is offline Neil_J  United States
diyAudio Member

No effin' way, BruteFIR liberally uses the Intel SIMD instruction for the convolution process.. That ain't gonna work on the Pi with an ARM processor. If you recompile it without the intel assembly instructions, it *might* work, but likely won't do so with decent throughput.

If you or anyone else do get it to work, please post details here
Old 10th January 2013, 12:00 AM   #63
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil_J View Post
No effin' way, BruteFIR liberally uses the Intel SIMD instruction for the convolution process.. That ain't gonna work on the Pi with an ARM processor. If you recompile it without the intel assembly instructions, it *might* work, but likely won't do so with decent throughput.

If you or anyone else do get it to work, please post details here
Just got Brutefir working tonight. Doing a 2x2 convolution with 2048 sample IRs. It seems to use about one third of the available processing power. I am doing Ambiophonics from a S16_LE raw file to an external soundcard, or HDMI., so far; I only managed to get two channels out from HDMI, the last time I tried, some time ago.

Using 2012-12-16-wheezy-raspbian.zip.

I could not get Jconvolver to work because Jackd is broken, but there seems to be a cure for that now..

Audacity works too.
Old 10th January 2013, 12:49 AM   #64
Neil_J is offline Neil_J  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wareing View Post
Just got Brutefir working tonight. Doing a 2x2 convolution with 2048 sample IRs. It seems to use about one third of the available processing power. I am doing Ambiophonics from a S16_LE raw file to an external soundcard, or HDMI., so far; I only managed to get two channels out from HDMI, the last time I tried, some time ago.

Using 2012-12-16-wheezy-raspbian.zip.

I could not get Jconvolver to work because Jackd is broken, but there seems to be a cure for that now..

Audacity works too.
Very interesting, great work. Are you doing any assembly-level CPU optimization, or straight C code?
Old 10th January 2013, 09:37 AM   #65
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Very interesting, great work. Are you doing any assembly-level CPU optimization, or straight C code?
I still have my linux/brutefir/alsa/jack L plates on...

After the fresh distro install, and upgrade, I think it was just "sudo apt-get install brutefir"

The latest distro, with hardware floating point whatnot, seems about three times faster than when I first tried convolution - I only got fconvolver to work then, and it took ages to get any sound out at all. I gave up then!
I read that there is a circuit fault with the internal stereo jack sound out, that may be fixed with later boards.
There is no alsa driver for my usb Quad Capture soundcard so I am using an old Soundblaster, but I don't think it can do input and output at the same time.
I beleive you can overclock, but I have not done so.

Regards,
David.
Old 10th January 2013, 11:00 AM   #66
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oublie View Post
Its a home cinema still in build stage 6 15" sub 64 mids 200 tweets1080p projector with screen using computer connected Xbox kinect to control via voice and motion early days but I will get there. atm the idea of spending 25 per speaker on good quality crossover technology embedded in the stud walls is pretty good compared with the insanity of purchasing something which I don't know and don't trust
OMG. That many speakers ... i can tell it is early days LoL
Old 10th January 2013, 11:14 AM   #67
diyAudio Member

Quote:
ps. This might be useful:
Jackd Raspberry Real Time Audio - My-Lab
I have not actualy got it working yet, but it does not instantly fail like the 'standard' one does on the Rpi. Be careful not to overwrite it by installing QjackCtl, for example.

Last edited by David Wareing; 10th January 2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 15th January 2013, 01:15 PM   #68
diyAudio Member

I read on the RPi forum that the RPi only supports up to 11 bits of audio.

Raspberry Pi • View topic - How to get high quality audio from R-Pi?

Misinformed (knowledge tends to change over time) or is this correct?
Old 16th January 2013, 07:37 PM   #69
diyAudio Member

If anything, you're referring to the analogue output.
Don't panic.
Old 16th January 2013, 08:06 PM   #70
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgety View Post
I read on the RPi forum that the RPi only supports up to 11 bits of audio.

Raspberry Pi • View topic - How to get high quality audio from R-Pi?

Misinformed (knowledge tends to change over time) or is this correct?
Subjectively it sounds fine using the HDMI (stereo only.) or the digital coax out of a USB soundblaster to an AV receiver.

I case I was deaf or deluded, I also recorded a -60dB 1kHz tone with Audacity and played it with aplayer on the Rpi to the USB Soundblaster, which was connected via the digital (coax) out to the digital input of a Roland Quad Capture. I recorded from this using Audacity. The only difference I could see from the original was increased noise (due to added dither?), but the (-60dB) signal was still about 60dB above the noise.floor. (CoolEdit Frequency Analysis FFT size 65536)

Seems ok, using a half-decent external soundcard..

A 32 bit float wav output file (after two soundcards) is here, for a short while:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/elshm36skg...0-tone-out.wav

Hide this!Advertise here!