Rasberry Pi and active crossover revolution

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Allwinner A10 might be better?

Dear all,

rasberry-pi ? Much as I love the idea of a computer for every child I don't like proprietary drivers.

I have ordered a Mele A1000 and it has open source drivers, and a SPDIF output.

My one has not come yet, but for around 80 Euro its not so much more expensive and has many extra connectors. The main issue I hear is the poor quality Ethernet hardware, and the too small RAM.

Regards

Owen

first sound tests done on my pi - IT SUCKS! :( Early sound drivers are very poor, 1 bit sampling sound - issue with clicking (probably driver related) that doesn't mean i'm giving up I just need to get some time to play - so busy atm. As a side note though hdmi output is great, and i put a build of RASPBMC on it to play with, very good considering its size XBMC media centre in a cigarette packet :) attached to NAS Ill update when I have the time to work on this a bit more.

I must say , that there is an Issue with USB Components on the Raspberry Pi, too.

I was trying several USB Hubs and Power Supplys ( even those, that are recommended) and can not get everything to work at the same time. (Network, Keyboard, USB Sound, Mouse).

Raspberry Pi is poor Hardware (even for Schools) because of the USB Problems.

Regards

I must say , that there is an Issue with USB Components on the Raspberry Pi, too.

I was trying several USB Hubs and Power Supplys ( even those, that are recommended) and can not get everything to work at the same time. (Network, Keyboard, USB Sound, Mouse).

Raspberry Pi is poor Hardware (even for Schools) because of the USB Problems.

Regards

The network was some USB dongle, or the integrated ethernet interface? All of that would be quite a lot for a single USB port (bandwidth limits) considering it was most likely switched to USB1 due to the slow devices attached.

seems like they really screwed the pooch here and its going to bite them big time. so many people would have been planning projects that you would think looking at the spec would be possible, but they have provided this 'functionality' with smoke and mirrors so it can say on the datasheet.

there will be a lot of angry geeks on the fora :grumpy::cuss::irked:

Hi folks,

Just an update, ive been following with some interest the evolution of the Rasberry Pi computer concept Raspberry Pi | An ARM GNU/Linux box for $25. Take a byte! Production has just started so my plan is to possibly use one of these little computer per speaker to act as an active crossover using a digital in connection split from my ht receiver and then using the processing power to run active crossovers and possibly some form of DRC signal processing. What do you think? Could it be done or am i asking too much from such a low end processor.

It can be done. Just get some cheap HT receiver with HDMI support to work as DAC and multi channel amplifier and connect RPi's HDMI out to it's HDMI in. Connect receivers HDMI output to some cheap HDMI monitor so you have the GUI running on RPi. Build an SPDIF receiver and connect it to RPi's I2S input - though unfortunately there aren't any ALSA drivers available for the I2S input yet, but there are people working on them. In the meantime you can play your music files from RPi's SD card or from USB HDD so you don't need SPDIF input at all. Take your time to study which Linux applications can be used to implement the crossover (brutefir or jconvolver for FIR,Zita-lrx crossover + other stuff here: http://kokkinizita.linuxaudio.org/linuxaudio/downloads/index.html, JACK for routing, media players etc.). Compile them for RPi and integrate the environment.

Last edited:
That would require switching the RPi soundcard integrated in the SoC to external clock generated by the SPDIF receiver. AFAIK the SoC allows such mode, the question is whether proper documentation is even available.

That mode is propably buried inside VideoCore and not open source. Anyway, (software, possibly hardware, as some people are reported I2S interface outputting data using BCM2835 ALSA SoC drivers that come with RPi, so the I2S possibly is in sync with HDMI PCM out) sample rate conversion is one option.

The functionality is described on page 119 of http://www.raspberrypi.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/BCM2835-ARM-Peripherals.pdf . Each I2S interface has optional clock direction (master/slave), feeding data asynchronously to the APB bus (similarly to PCI in regular PC). Most likely these registers are directly manipulated by the audio driver.

That means the SPDIF input is viable. Still you would need to do ASRC in software (e.g. using libsamplerate) between the incoming SPDIF clock and HDMI clock since I very doubt the HDMI output clock can be switched to slave.

That means the SPDIF input is viable. Still you would need to do ASRC in software (e.g. using libsamplerate) between the incoming SPDIF clock and HDMI clock since I very doubt the HDMI output clock can be switched to slave.

Yes, you could propably take the optical out from the HDMI (AV) receiver and use it as sync source, though then the jitter may be a problem.

That mode is propably buried inside VideoCore and not open source. Anyway, (software, possibly hardware, as some people are reported I2S interface outputting data using BCM2835 ALSA SoC drivers that come with RPi, so the I2S possibly is in sync with HDMI PCM out) sample rate conversion is one option.
The VideoCore stuff was open-sourced on October 24. Check the Raspberry Pi for more details.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.