New audio player software : JPlay - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th February 2012, 12:22 AM   #31
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Just curious. What is it that jplay is supposed to do better than other players?
For Example: I can get variably bit perfect playback out of JRiver or Foobar. So it's not the bits. Any idea what IS different?
Old 8th February 2012, 12:33 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

This is the blurb from jplay themselves :

JPLAY: beginner’s guide | JPLAY - hi-end audio player for Windows
Old 8th February 2012, 12:43 AM   #33
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I've been using J River MC12 (I'm still running XP on the media server) for a number of years now and have found it a pretty good performer.. What exactly does JPlay do better than J River utilizing ASIO?
Old 8th February 2012, 12:52 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

Never ran jriver other than the trial. But what I hear is much more fluid sound with clearer highs, tighter bass and improved detail/resolution.

Fran
Old 8th February 2012, 12:52 AM   #35
diyAudio Moderator

Thanks for the link. I can see closing down a lot of processes being beneficial, especially if you use the analog out of your computer (I don't). Buffer under-runs cause skips and pops no matter what the stream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodturner-fran View Post
Never ran jriver other than the trial. But what I hear is much more fluid sound with clearer highs, tighter bass and improved detail/resolution.
Analog out of the computer?
Other than no interruptions in the stream, I don't see an advantage when using the same hardware and a digital output. Still wonder what the difference is.
Old 8th February 2012, 12:56 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

No, usb out to jkdac32 (usb dac) . It's 2am here, I should be in bed and finding it hard to turn off!
Old 8th February 2012, 01:06 AM   #37
diyAudio Moderator

Go get some sleep!
Old 8th February 2012, 11:04 PM   #38
Toaster is offline Toaster  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

@n1cky: Fair enough, but really, there were no such effects I could detect. I must emphasise though that I haven't heard other alternatives to J-Play- it just sounded very good in the context of a very good system. My host had tried other options on his computer and preferred J-Play- which was why he was using it of course.
@Woodturner-Fran: Interesting that you're using the JKDAC32 too. This seems to be getting some very favourable reactions on various forums.

Last edited by Toaster; 8th February 2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old 9th February 2012, 02:24 AM   #39
i2k92 is offline i2k92  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodturner-fran View Post

Fran
Exactly same feeling I got when compared jriver & foobar vs jplay. It was also confirmed by more than 10 people on our local audio forum.

As for cplay, never test it myself but lot of people says good things about it so it must be good. But to achieve that quality the OS must be optimized (read: mutilated) a lot so it will not be useful for other purpose anymore and not everyone have neither knowledge or guts to do such modification on their system or they still need their machine for other purpose. This is where IMHO jplay came into play, good output without too much fuss.

Frankly, if the great & free Pureplayer can be integrated with more advanced music library system like jriver or foobar, I will use it. Until then I'll stick with foobar + jplay combination and throw the rants in Hydrogen Audio to the bin.
Old 9th February 2012, 07:34 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Use jplay with fideliser - another gain to be had

Hide this!Advertise here!