New audio player software : JPlay - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th February 2012, 07:31 PM   #21
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

I find the discussion with the jplay developer at hydrogen audio interesting. As always (in my experience too) no evidence for the claims was presented when asked for some.

Jplay - just another scam? - Hydrogenaudio Forums
Old 5th February 2012, 08:40 PM   #22
n1cky is offline n1cky  Syria
diyAudio Member

I tried Jplay but I don't recall Hibernate mode? I suppose I'll have to reinstall it.

How do we know the player doesn't change the pitch or add reverb, tricking customers?

I'm trying cMP cPlay now thanks. It seems to have SoX and SRC and pretty pictures too!

Still not quite sure why either of these should sound better than Kernel Streaming out of Foobar, WinAmp, Internet Explorer, a toaster... etc.
Old 5th February 2012, 09:53 PM   #23
Toaster is offline Toaster  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

It surprised me a bit Erin, but then I haven't really had any hands-on experience with computer audio. The real point was to listen to a pair of open baffle speakers and the turntable, so it was all new to me. It seems computer-based systems have become a perfectly valid way of listening to music at home and are probably the best in terms of the cost/ performance ratio. Change the pitch or add reverb n1cky? Why on earth would anyone want that- and more to the point why would you suggest it? Strange comment. Anyway, it doesn't. With the system I was listening to any such (unlikely) manipulations would have been glaringly obvious.
Old 5th February 2012, 10:11 PM   #24
n1cky is offline n1cky  Syria
diyAudio Member

Toaster the first time I heard of Jplay, the user called the difference "striking", then I saw the price of 99 Euro.

So I figured there's an off chance of some sort of an enhanced effect in the player, to make the difference seem striking, however I think this is unlikely.
Old 7th February 2012, 07:59 AM   #25
erin is offline erin  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phofman View Post
I find the discussion with the jplay developer at hydrogen audio interesting. As always (in my experience too) no evidence for the claims was presented when asked for some.

Jplay - just another scam? - Hydrogenaudio Forums
Yes indeed, this raises serious questions about this piece of software.

cPlay on the other hand does provide a great deal of information, and also provides jitter measurements to back up the claims of better sound quality.

Of course I don't know if the measurements provided really are correct, but at least some evidence is given. cMP² | CMP / 03Jitter
Old 7th February 2012, 08:16 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin View Post
cPlay on the other hand does provide a great deal of information, and also provides jitter measurements to back up the claims of better sound quality.

cMP² | CMP / 03Jitter
Unfortunately the measurements are not compared against different "presumably suboptimal" cplay setup or different "presumably worse sounding" player, all performed on the same hardware to keep the other conditions identical. Then the measurement would back up the better sound claim.
Old 7th February 2012, 10:17 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Each PC setup makes a difference, which is audible to those who have tried different PC's and different levels of OS optimisation.
Old 7th February 2012, 10:30 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin View Post
Each PC setup makes a difference, which is audible to those who have tried different PC's and different levels of OS optimisation.
That is why a single chart does not back up better sound quality - better is comparative, "better than something else". E.g. comparing to charts of foobar on stock winXP (i.e. no cmp modifications) on the same HW.

Last edited by phofman; 7th February 2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old 7th February 2012, 11:32 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

My interpretation of the cPlay website is not that the author claims that it is "better" but offers the software and OS optimisations as a method of obtaining a transport of a certain implied quality, which (from the website) "yields an overall Jpp RSS of 51 ps." It would be up to the individual to determine if the assertion stacks up sonically.
Old 7th February 2012, 11:45 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Mmm don't know if I'm doing the right thing posting in this thread, but just wanted to endorse jplay and it's sound quality. So much so I actually paid for it. Why am I doubtful about posting? Well I'm not particularly interested in arguments and doing experiments to satisfy one poster who already has their mind made up !

Don't forget pureplayer - the thread for that is here too.

Hide this!Advertise here!