New audio player software : JPlay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
And thats why you will never know how good cPlay is :p

The cPlay site itself is actually very good, but it does require a person to click on menus which take a person to the next page, which perhaps is difficult for some?

I interpret what you are saying to mean.
Jplay is for those who are lazy and second best will do.

So, you "read" of "users" who "said" that they "prefered" Jplay over cPlay. Because its "easier"???

cPlay also has had a major review here Audiolics Anonymous Chapter 105: Home Theater Computer Pt. 2, Pinnacle PCTV HD Pro Stick Article By Bill Gaw and at the time of the review was only a year or so old. But really, big deal.

And for what its worth I take all reviews with a pinch of salt, however I personally trust online reviews or comments in forums over print media reviews as there is more commercial interest in magazines. But anyway, you didn't cite your reference so who knows what you are talking about.

And to continue on with your rant you criticise Audioasylum?? Why? What point dose that prove.

OK, so why do you hang out one DiyAudio? Presumably because you think that commercial products are made with compromises and you prefer to modify or design your own gear which is better than you can get off the shelf, and now you are applauding some software which is "off the shelf" yet still allows windows to operate and read email at the same time???

Well if you are going to tell me that Jplay stops other services etc. Well cPlay does whatever Jplay does, but takes it further, does it better, did it first, and costs absolutely nothing! and the website offers suggestions on how to tweak your operating system and your PC, and the Audioasylum thread has awesome suggestions from really dedicated PC audio people who tweak the c^&p out of their computers to get the best sound.

I almost forgot to say, that if Jplay is so easy why would you even need support?

If your car is so easy to drive why would you need a driver?

jplay versus xnoise ?

I just test this new Windows software and think I need to share my impression here. Download here : JPLAY - hi-end audio player for Windows . Please note that I'm in no way affiliated with the developer, so this is not a marketing post.

I used Foobar2K for years and have tested other like Jriver, Mediamonkey, etc and always come back to Foobar for lot of different reasons (SQ, usability, etc). Last night I tested Jplay and I think I cannot live without it anymore (means I will have less 99 euros on my bank account).

Compared to my foobar setup, JPlay has more "body", spaciousness and details. And that's with my fairly simple setup, I believe it will shows more of its' potential on better system. And that's on it's default setup, I haven't played around with more advanced settings. It is clear that it force the system to concentrate all of its' CPU power and RAM to play music only as while the music is playing, the PC become very slow and less responsive.

It can run as independent application with minimalist GUI or as foobar component, so I still have the usability of Foobar (interface, library, etc). There are many so-called audiophile player (ulilith, cplay, etc). But their user interface are barely usable for my needs. It can also work with JRiver and iTunes :eek: (not tested yet).

Bad side (tested with Foobar only) :
  1. No gapless playback (because it is a memory player, I suppose)
  2. It is not interfaced well with Foobar uPNP component. The renderer function doesn't work, it cannot retrieve songs from uPNP server. So for know I have to stick with foobar HTTP interface to remotely control it.
  3. Not free :(
Will see how JPlay compares to PurePlayer (another one I like very much, but lacking on the interface side). It will be great if the developer of Pureplayer takes the same approach with Jplay to integrate with other music library program.
had you compared it to xnoise latest version ,as am seeing in forums people praise xnoise as the best as far sound quality goes ," ?

had you compared it to xnoise latest version ,as am seeing in forums people praise xnoise as the best as far sound quality goes ," ?

If by xnoise you mean Xnoise Media Player || Home , it is based on standard gstreamer, like many other linux players. IMO without a blind listening test any claim of different sound footprint is just subjective feeling, to be taken cautiously.

If sound player is able to force OS being real time, kill other process, services, and multitasking software, maybe it became best sound player. Event in less powerful processor :D. But you can only use your computer to play audio in the same given time :p

Maybe it is time to develop sound player under DOS or another real time OS. Then we can make dual/triple boot or whatever you want :D

Why realtime OS? If the OS is capable of delivering fresh data once ten milliseconds (for USB audio) or hundreds of msecs (for PCI/e) to a specific location in RAM, it is perfectly capable of audio playback. There is nothing realtime required, unless you need low latency for audio work.

Why realtime OS? If the OS is capable of delivering fresh data once ten milliseconds (for USB audio) or hundreds of msecs (for PCI/e) to a specific location in RAM, it is perfectly capable of audio playback. There is nothing realtime required, unless you need low latency for audio work.

Because everyone debate wich is the best sound player. If you just want sound player work, you can do on smartphone with less powerful processor than typical desktop or laptop.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.