VST for Windows 7 System Audio?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Squeezebox Server, etc.

The tricky part of my setup is that I use the Slim Devices Squeezebox Server (now Logitech Media Server) as my main conduit for listening to music.
  • one Squeezebox 2 player in the main stereo rig in one room
  • music stored on the primary PC in an adjacent room
  • Logitech Media Server running on the same PC
  • software version of a Squeezebox Player also running (sync'ed to the SB2) on the main PC
  • PC sends audio out through a USB DAC (currently a Behringer UCA202)

I know that things would be a lot easier if I just played music through foobar2000. But I need to synchronize the two rooms through the music server, which currently works very well for playing locally stored music.

I've tried the Inguz plugin in the past and found it too cumbersome. I don't know if one can isolate just one player to use Inguz and still be able to sync.

So the bottom line is I'd like to be able to EQ-tweak the speakers in the PC room for a little more high frequency extension, while maintaining the synchronized music in two rooms.

Clear as mud. :D

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Eureka!

Thanks, Boris. That looks like a good solution from a reputable company. I was all set to try it out (even buy it [gasp]), but decided to give Virtual Audio Cable a try first, based on the extensive documentation. The DDMF page was comparatively scant on details...

Wow, am I glad I tried it -- it works great, so I went ahead with the full version. :D
I have it routing the sound through my favorite EQ using SaviHost and don't see any problems!
It's too late to really run it through its paces to compare the sound quality of this new setup compared to without, but things look promising.

Thanks to all who contributed to the thread!
:drink:

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I was of course overzealous. :D

I had some problems with VAC as well. I couldn't get the synchronization right between the PC and the hardware squeezebox, and there were occasional glitches where the sound was flawed.

I may try it again sometime, but it's just too time consuming to play with. I will be trying passive very-high-crossed tweeters next.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Eureka, really

Holy crap, I just got it to work, and beautifully!
After hours of wrestling with Jack Audio, Savihost, Electri-Q, and Squeezeslave options, I correctly got all parties using the right ASIO drivers. Now I can EQ my synchronized software player! Yay me! :cool:
And this is all with FREE SOFTWARE. Amazing. :drink:
I'm going to be tired at work tomorrow.

Attachments

• woohoo.gif
    woohoo.gif
    81.1 KB · Views: 378
Holy crap, I just got it to work, and beautifully!
After hours of wrestling with Jack Audio, Savihost, Electri-Q, and Squeezeslave options, I correctly got all parties using the right ASIO drivers. Now I can EQ my synchronized software player! Yay me! :cool:
And this is all with FREE SOFTWARE. Amazing. :drink:
I'm going to be tired at work tomorrow.

Well done - I've toyed with vst plugins myself and found them near impossible to work properly.

I've never managed to achieve what you did - i.e. process all sound leaving my HTPC with a VST plugin - regardless of what player was generating the sound.

what hosts and plugins did you end up using?

Joined 2008
Paid Member
It works, but it's a lot of clutter on a running PC

My recollection will be a bit fuzzy here as I'm no longer using JackAudio due to its overall complexity. I've since stopped using it because this method uses multiple running applications all the time, and the PC I was using is the main home PC for everyone to use. Plus just starting up the music with all the required steps and configurations was more than anyone else would be able to deal with. Plus plus, :) I could not get Jack to work at all with HOLM Impulse, so I gave up software EQ-ing.

Once I'm back home for the weekend I may add some detail if I miss something.

The first hurdle I had difficulty with was getting JackAudio to work with other applications in Win7 at all.

The critical issue is that all music applications must be operating through the same ASIO driver for Jack to work. I downloaded and installed the right driver for my USB DAC from behringer.
Once you install the Jack windows client (I now forget if I used the 64 or 32-bit version, and from where I got it), the music clients need to be set up to communicate with each other.
I used SAVIHost without much issue. It's pretty easy and the directions from its website are pretty good. It just runs the VST you want just like you would expect the VST to run. I had prior experience with ElectriQ with foobar on my work PC, so I used that.
Also, since I use Squeezeserver at home, I needed the right options for the software Squeezebox-mimic to get it to communicate with Jack properly (had to write a batch file to run the player with ASIO output -- something like foobar is so much easier).

So, If you're not confused enough yet, here is the order of operations I would go through to utilize Jack to manipulate the music coming out of my PC.
  1. Start Jack PortAudio
  2. Start Squeezeslave music player
  3. Start VST plugin through SAVIHost
  4. Start JackAudio Connection Kit
  5. Click on 'Connect' in the Connection Kit to set the connections between available running programs (as in my picture above)
One item to remember is that there has to be an active signal 'playing' for Jack to allow the connections to be made.

If I got as far as music playing, I could manipulate the VST plugin to see if I got a response. After a lot of fooling, I finally was able to manipulate the sound emanating from the speakers with the EQ plugin. After being satisfied that all things are go, you can close the Connection Kit program to eliminate one extra process going on.

All of this can become infinitely more complicated depending on what you want to do with your HTPCs sound output. All my music is in redbook CD resolution, so I had 16 bit, 44.1k sample rate set for everything, with a lot of the software defaults engaged. And I only ran one music player and one VST plugin.

On that note, this has been my longest post EVER on DIYAudio. :D You're welcome.
Good luck!

J River Media Center can host VST plugins, has a pretty impressive DSP engine, and has a loopback feature. The loopback does what Jack does without the complex setup. It can be used with any measurement software to see the results of eq applied from the same PC.

I'm using it right now, listening to Spotify routed through JR as a digital crossover and eq. It nearly has me convinced to get rid of my miniDSP's and go 100% PC

I use Live Professor.
It works great so far.
I tried several others but I couldn't get them to work, so I just stuck with Live Professor as it worked flawlessly the first time around with my GINA24 card.

If you don't have an ASIO driver you can use ASIO4ALL, it works too with every sound card that I have tried.

Foobar does it too but I haven't messed with it much.

In liveProfessor you just need to load a sample player and load your sound file into that,I have had as many as 8 effects going somtimes before the DSP load starts to get to high for my Opteron 185 running at 2.95 Ghz.
It even does well on my older P4's too.

Winamp has a plugin capability as well but it is quite limited and bogs down and skips sometimes.

FWIW.

jer :)

Last edited:
On that note, this has been my longest post EVER on DIYAudio. :D You're welcome.
Good luck!

Hey, and I appreciate it!

Wow, and after beating my head against a wall with these darn VST things and reading the pain of your experience, I think I'll look for a different way!:D

That Live Professor software looks interesting, but does it do what I want: i.e. take audio from any player and process it through a VST plug in before leaving the PC? I'd love to be able to use some of the great looking parametric equalizers that VST plug ins do - but only seem to exist for line IN.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.