Aarrghh--Networking Windows Medial Player

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK, all. While I'm not new to audio, nor to fabrication of discrete audio components, I'm a "newbie" when it comes to networking PCs for shared use of audio media files. Help, please...... I'm guessing there is an easy solution, but despite all my reading and attempts, I still don't "see the light".

I have three Windows based PCs. Two are running Windows XP and the respective Windows Media player for that O/S. The third PC is Intel 7 based, and is running Windows 7 Home Professional and the related Windows Media Player. For now, I'm running the sound cards that came with these systems. I have all three networked via a wireless Cisco router. This three PC network appears stable, and I can "see" and share Microsoft Word and Excel files among the three (or so it seems I can....).

I have all my ripped audio tracks stored on my Intel 7/Windows 7 PC, largely because of it's 1.5 Tbyte hard drive. This PC is able (as you might imagine) to access and play all the ripped files I have stored on it's internal hard drive. My frustration arises when I want to access (via their Windows Medial Player software) these same ripped files from the other two Windows XP PCs. Since I'm NOT storing any media files on these two XP machines, I want their Windows Media Player, when opened, to immediately open to the audio file directory on the Intel 7 PC. I'm certain (I think, perhaps, maybe....) there is an easy way (in the XP Media Player software?) to direct the link to be used to find audio files on the Intel 7 PC. (Isn't there?). Can anyone help me?

I'd sure like to have the Intel 7 hard drive as the central repository for my audio files--but it's only practical for me if my other two PCs have easy access to these files, too......

Please be gentle in your responses.... ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.