using cd67se as a dac?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
is it possible to take the digital sig from my audiophile 24/96 soundcard and feed it thru the cd 67 dac?
i do realise it would involve some "surgery",but i was reading something about pc based music saying it's a good idea to use an offboard dac,but i can't afford one of them.

so why can't i use the dac in the cd 67? tis a good dac after all and i'm modding the player soon just waiting on parts.so no fear of modding it.

i know very little about pc based music tho i did originally have this pc for recording guitar with nuendo etc.it's pretty old now[xp2500],but its got an uprated ps cheap grahics card1 gig of ram to lighten the load and the 24/96 soundcard.
i kinow it's never gonna sound as good,but i really want my pc to sound a lot better,because in comparison it's pretty dire

mod the soundcard! nah don't think so lol read that can be fraught with danger the traces don't stand up to much.
most of that went over my head tbh mate.it just seems odd we have often v good dacs in our cd players and the digitally naive like me would suppose there's some easy way to use em.

looks like i'll just have to put up with it sounding rubbish

mod the soundcard! nah don't think so lol read that can be fraught with danger the traces don't stand up to much.
most of that went over my head tbh mate.it just seems odd we have often v good dacs in our cd players and the digitally naive like me would suppose there's some easy way to use em.

looks like i'll just have to put up with it sounding rubbish

What soundcard is it? My 1st decent soundcard was a turtle beach pinnacle on an ISA format connector. How very 1990's!! To behonest, I've had a few Creative cards from AWE's through to Audigy and the audio was more than accaptable. I think you may be surprised how good a decentish soundcard is!

it's a audiophile 2496 soundcard,going into my nad 3020 which feeds a pair of mission 773 e's and mp3's and even flacs sound...well rubbish really.

the cd 67se sounds alright admittedly playing a cd but it's a shocking difference...you really don't want to listen to it tbh.

strangely the missus has a little i think goodmans all in one cd thing that's got a usb input-and if you play the same files on that little thing it sounds tons better than my nad and missions!!!

subjectively i would say the sound is very boxey and lifeless,has little dynamics very compressed and sounds abysmal when it gets busy,very muddy indeed

no its a v good soundcard for the money apparently the 2496.much better than creative sb live kinda stuff.it's a pci soundcard not onboard sound on the mobo.
it just sounds rubbish compared to the cd player and i cant understand why really especially when it sounds clearer and far more defined on the missus cheapo piece of rubbish compared to going thru the nad and missions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.