A-D convertor for ripping vinyl - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th December 2011, 11:44 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default A-D convertor for ripping vinyl

Lot's of info for DACs everywhere. I know sound cards have good to excellent A-D convertors but I use a laptop. I would like to know what's good, the availability and or kits for external A-D convertors for ripping vinyl and other analog sources. I'm sure there are some "Pro" products, don't know much about them. I have a cheezy $50 unit, works OK, sounds like crap. Does anyone know of a product for us consumers at the same level of performance like current DACs?
Old 12th December 2011, 11:58 PM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I use an Edirol FA-66 which really performances well above what would be expected for its price.

dave
Old 13th December 2011, 01:45 PM   #3
Shelby is offline Shelby  Austria
diyAudio Member

Default FF400

I use RME's FF400 with excellent results. Connect to the Laptop via firewire. They also have an USB version. Have a look on their homepage.
Old 15th December 2011, 11:25 PM   #4
wrankin is offline wrankin  United States
diyAudio Member

If you are on more of a beer budget, and are just looking to rip some vinyl, I have been using a Roland Edirol UA-1EX, which is a simple 2-channel USB ADC/DAC and does 24-bit 44.1/48 (and maybe 96k). I think I got mine new around maybe $80.

The UA-1EX is no longer produced and was replaced by the UA-1G, which seems to be a very similar unit in terms of features. I don't know about it's sound.

Also the "Edirol" line has been renamed "Cakewalk by Roland" (no, I am not making this up). So the Cakewalk FA-66 is the new name for Dave's unit.

Good luck.

-bill
Old 15th December 2011, 11:44 PM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I have one of the Edirol USB units as well, either the same as Bills or with a 25 in the name (on loan so can't just look it). Cost $75 at swap-n-shop and is decent, not up to the FireWire unit.

I also have an Alesis FW, but it suffers from the same chip crash as the DCX2496 (i have one of those too)

dave
Old 15th December 2011, 11:49 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Creative E-Mu 0204 USB. Has as A/D converter AK5385 that kicks a*s*s in that price range - 120$ on Amazon.

Last edited by SoNic_real_one; 15th December 2011 at 11:53 PM.
Old 15th December 2011, 11:52 PM   #7
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I used a couple different things, but the M-Audio 192 still works best. You're limited to "desktop" machines since it's PCI.
Old 16th December 2011, 12:44 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

"M-Audio 192" has the same ADC as "E-MU 0204" - AK5385.
Source.

Last edited by SoNic_real_one; 16th December 2011 at 12:47 AM.
Old 17th December 2011, 09:10 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Music Hall MMF 9.1 Turntable --> Brocksieper Phonomax --> E-MU 0404 external USB 2.0 Audiointerface --> Laptop --> Wavelab 6.1 (24/192) --> manual click removal --> analyze (no clipping, no DC Bias offset) --> split into individual Tracks --> resampling and dither to 16-bit/44.1kHz with iZotope RX Advanced --> FLAC encoded (Vers. 1.21)
Old 17th December 2011, 12:02 PM   #10
wwenze is offline wwenze  Singapore
diyAudio Member

At first I recommended EMU 0204 because of the supposed measured performance (similar to 0404), but after reading this review I deleted the recommendation immediately.

Quote:
The inputs are not a matched pair and produce slightly out-of-sync, out-of-phase low-end compared to prior Emu interfaces.
http://www.amazon.com/Creative-MU-87.../dp/B004GJXTQS

Hide this!Advertise here!