Hand Made SATA Cable for CAT - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 13th January 2012, 02:00 PM   #121
Account disabled at member's request

Well Im sure of myself, care to visit me and I prove it to you, to make better odds Id insist on 100 files being tested, after being copied for 10 times over Id stake my electrocompaniet nemo as prize if I score less then 98 out of 100. If i score 98 or more you purchase me another of these beauties. Any takers ??? DBT bring it on. Ive used DBT to expell some myths by audiophools but regarding this DBT doesnt stand a chance. Try it.

The effect was brought to my attention by DJs I give jobs too, I dont use MP3s for myself. Ive had more than 30 do jobs for me and far more than half insist on orginal downloaded copy, direct to their pcs, imagine my surprise when told the reason for this.

Care to try answer the first one.

Old 13th January 2012, 02:05 PM   #122
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtecchy View Post
damm i came to Diy audio to get away from computer geekness.
You are in the "PC based" section of DIY Audio.

Quote:
the only explanation i have at the moment is error correction getting things wrong . Only 1s and 0s not hard to understand . When we play a digital music file we are not able to use a checksum to detect errors so the error correction must make a guess to the missing bit being a 1 or a 0. Now that is easy to get wrong . the more error correction the more errors in the music file .
Once ripped from CD-Audio, a file with audio data is just like any other file.

The error correction is in the HDD, in the SATA controller, even some filesystems have a built-in checksums correction (e.g. ZFS). The audio software does no error correction, it assumes correct data. There is no room for data corruption of audio only. If your executables are unaffected by copying, so will your audio files. The underlying hardware cannot differentiate.

Actually, FLACs can be checksum-checked. But the claim above talks about hearing FLACs deteriorating sonically too. Definitely not by data corruption. IMO the deterioration does not in fact occur at all, it is only in our heads. Until someone proves me wrong which I doubt, so far nobody has ever published credible test results.

Old 13th January 2012, 02:09 PM   #123
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemodder View Post
Well Im sure of myself, care to visit me and I prove it to you, to make better odds Id insist on 100 files being tested, after being copied for 10 times over Id stake my electrocompaniet nemo as prize if I score less then 98 out of 100. If i score 98 or more you purchase me another of these beauties. Any takers ??? DBT bring it on. Ive used DBT to expell some myths by audiophools but regarding this DBT doesnt stand a chance.
Why don't you describe us your test scenario and objective results you honestly stand behind.

Old 13th January 2012, 02:19 PM   #124
diyAudio Member

Quote:
On the issue of linux and windows . I made an obsevation some time ago . Windows XP seems to make the hard drive more mechanicaly noisey than in linux . Anyone else noticed this. Surley as said it must have somthing to do with Hardware drivers as the hardware was the same used for linux and windows.

Regards Ian
Possible reasons:

* windows filesystem more prone to fragmentation, the head travels larger distances

* windows filesystem more filled/filled with larger files, leading again to larger fragmentation

* windows accessing the HDD more often, worse block device caching

* windows using more RAM, utilizing swap file

* windows swap is file-based, unlike most linux partition-based less-fragmented swaps

etc, etc.

My netbook in windows keeps trashing the HDD constantly. Looking for time to reinstall to linux, it will relieve the HDD a lot.

Old 13th January 2012, 02:24 PM   #125

I have done so, take a music file be it flac or mp3, copy and then move it over and over from one harddrive to another, memory sticks can be used as well, return the copy of the file used in the last drive where it was moved to, to the original harddrive, check number of bits to be the same as the original copy left behind on the drive and then compare with listening results.

Old 13th January 2012, 02:29 PM   #126
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

So you don't really need someone to visit, just some data files which you could presumably sort?

Old 13th January 2012, 02:35 PM   #127
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemodder View Post
compare with listening results.
The method of comparing with listening results is what I am asking about specifically. Do you really believe what you hear really happens?

Old 13th January 2012, 02:58 PM   #128

Offcourse, I can easily discern between the two files, which I shouldnt be able to do. Like I said this was brought to my attention by others, people who use thousands of these type files. Instead of me proving them wrong, they proved me wrong or lets say I proved myself wrong.

Last edited by homemodder; 13th January 2012 at 03:00 PM.

Old 13th January 2012, 03:11 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
So you don't really need someone to visit, just some data files which you could presumably sort?
I could email you some files, one original and one copied over a few times but with exact same bits if nothing goes wrong during the email sending and then you could judge by yourself. To verify that Im not cheating or using a different file which could have same size or doing any other type of tampering a visit would be required.

Old 13th January 2012, 03:13 PM   #130
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Tell you what, how about you email me a couple of files (or if they're too big, they could be put up in a dropbox). I'll make a disc or memory stick with ten files on it, 5 of each of the two you send, coded and randomized, then send them to you. I will provide the key to someone else. Then see if you can sort them. Does that work for you?

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!