Hand Made SATA Cable for CAT - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 13th January 2012, 11:05 AM   #111
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

I think this kind of claim is like junk mail or phishing. Say an incredible thing to a big enough audience and there will be a just few who find it credible. These are your income generators.
The more debate the subject gets, the greater the audience. And so it goes on....

Old 13th January 2012, 12:22 PM   #112
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by phofman View Post
SATA communication is guarded by checksums in hardware. If the checksums fail, errors get thrown and logged (smart, OS logs, etc.). There is no way this hardware can distinguish between audio data or e.g. executable code being transfered over the SATA interface.

I have encountered broken unreliable SATA cables. But that comes to the point - they either work reliably or don't. Regardless of what type of data is being transferred.
That was my reasoning before buying the new cable. Note that the same (broken) cable works fine on HDD's just not on my pioneer DVD RW drive running on linux. Many people have reported the same issue (linux broken, windows works fine). It can't be purely a hardware level issue it has to be the driver (otherwise it would be broken when dual booting windows).

Anyway It's a problem I had in the past, and it's anecdotal in nature so I'll leave it at that, believe me or not as you see fit

Tony.

Old 13th January 2012, 12:25 PM   #113
AndrewT is online now AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

I am beginning to tire of this Thread.
Some clearly show competence in the subjects being discussed.
Others show they are almost completely ignorant of the science.

Yet one does not seem willing to learn from the other.
It has become a pointless (not point scoring where we could have a winner) argument where the two sides (or is it only one side) are not willing to ever listen to the other side.

Old 13th January 2012, 12:58 PM   #114
diyAudio Member

Andrew either dont subscribe to the thread or simply stop reading it. And why oh why do you post on it. All that helps with is moving it back up the list..Stop posting! it will eventually go away all of its own accord..

Regards Ian

Old 13th January 2012, 01:04 PM   #115
AndrewT is online now AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

I want to see a provable conclusion.

I have a feeling ( with me being a digital ignoramus) that I have a conclusion but I want to know if my tentative conclusion is flawed and if so why.

I expect to eventually learn something.
But this tennis match rally has no end in sight.

Old 13th January 2012, 01:10 PM   #116
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
That was my reasoning before buying the new cable. Note that the same (broken) cable works fine on HDD's just not on my pioneer DVD RW drive running on linux. Many people have reported the same issue (linux broken, windows works fine). It can't be purely a hardware level issue it has to be the driver (otherwise it would be broken when dual booting windows).

Anyway It's a problem I had in the past, and it's anecdotal in nature so I'll leave it at that, believe me or not as you see fit
Tony.
I have no problem believing you. The DVD drive or the SATA controller could have been configured differently in linux and the cable poor quality stood out. But it would have happened no matter whether you had a CD-Audio or a DVD-R with pictures medium in the drive. And that is the point of our discussion here - how come audio data would get corrupted while executable code was transferred OK, not causing any program/kernel crashes.

Old 13th January 2012, 01:49 PM   #117
Account disabled at member's request

Im not a audiophool but I have encountered situations like wintermute which defies common engineering knowledge and practice. This subject with the sata cables may have some truth in it, some years ago there was a performance shootout between various harddrives published in a PC magazine (maybe I can still find a copy between all my junk in the garage) where the tester got a problem halfway through the test with the sata cable and made a change to the cheap cable provided by the hard drive manufacturer. The tests were started from the beginning but to his surprise the already tested drives were displaying slower speed in read and write. He couldnt understand it and neither could I but can one say he was lying. He mentions at the end of the tests that he purchased a new cable , the same as the first one used and speeds were again faster than the cheap cable, he left it at that. Can someone explain this to me......???

Second case, take a mp3 file, copy and paste it from one hardrive to another, even using a memory stick to change the said file to a different pc altogether. The more you move the file around the more youll notice the effect. When you make a copy of that file after the various transfers move the file back to its original drive and listen and compare to the original. I have found they sound very different and in specific the high frequencies have deteriorated. File size and number of bits dont explain the difference as they are always the same. The DJs I purchase these mp3 files for use in night clubs tell me they find the same effect and insist that I purchase the files direct from internet but download them direct to their own hardrives because of this. Ive found the same effect happens with the so called Flac lossless files. Anyone care to explain this one.......??

Isnt a 0 a 0 and a 1 a 1 ??? Ive had headaches trying to figure this out.

Old 13th January 2012, 02:34 PM   #118
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemodder View Post
I have found they sound very different and in specific the high frequencies have deteriorated.
Anyone care to explain this one.......??
If you care to present an objective test results proving you really do hear what you think you do (10/10 correct answers on properly conducted DBT falls to 95% confidence interval that you could really hear the difference), perhaps someone will care to try to explain causes of the effect confirmed thus to really exist.

Old 13th January 2012, 02:53 PM   #119
diyAudio Member

damm i came to Diy audio to get away from computer geekness. the only explanation i have at the moment is error correction getting things wrong . Only 1s and 0s not hard to understand . When we play a digital music file we are not able to use a checksum to detect errors so the error correction must make a guess to the missing bit being a 1 or a 0. Now that is easy to get wrong . the more error correction the more errors in the music file .
Just my thoughts at the moment .Im now off to search the web so take my rammblings with a pinch of salt for now . However i will be back . I agree with Andrew that this thread is becomming very frustrating and i guess others are feeling this way too.

Regards Ian

Old 13th January 2012, 02:58 PM   #120
diyAudio Member

On the issue of linux and windows . I made an obsevation some time ago . Windows XP seems to make the hard drive more mechanicaly noisey than in linux . Anyone else noticed this. Surley as said it must have somthing to do with Hardware drivers as the hardware was the same used for linux and windows.

Regards Ian

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!