The Bodzio Ultimate Equalizer - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th December 2011, 05:33 AM   #11
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lduarte1973 View Post
but wont you need 2 high quality soundboards ?
If you use the PC as the media player, yes. But if, for instance, you are using a receiver or processor or even stereo preamp, you'd only need one sound card.
Old 12th December 2011, 02:45 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

UE = 22K point digital equalizer S/W?

It looks like the main new tool in UE is equivalent to ~22K point 16b digital equalizer. If one already has FFT measurement data points for the individual drivers mounted in the cabinet+room, and can write attenuation equations for FIR filter crossovers, then using the x86 MMX functions for a fast 22K point equalizer calc would allow a DIY crossover with very flat response. Each speaker/amp would require just 22K/sec 16b sums.

Three cores * 2 Ghz * 8 MMX calculations/sec = EASY 3-way with single sound card

Has anyone written an x86 equalizer that uses MMX?
Old 12th December 2011, 03:27 AM   #13
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

I don't know how it's implemented, but I believe that current version supports 24 bit audio.
Old 12th December 2011, 08:48 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

For me at least, the most interesting part is not the frequency response correction, but the phase correction. Many forms of frequency correction exist, and you can tailor crossovers to help.
Phase correction, however, is very limited, and as far as I know, it has never been possilbe to straight-line phase response like this.
It should provide a coherent and stable soundstage with a good recording, as well as excellent transient response across the whole audio spectrum.
I have yet, however, to find even one report of how a system sounds after being phase corrected with this. LOTS of tech talk, no listening reports.
I anxiously await!
Old 12th December 2011, 09:02 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

they should have a demo...but i cant find it
Old 12th December 2011, 09:07 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

There is a great demo of how the software works in great detail here: UE Open baffle , but NO LISTENING REPORT! LOL. They must have been so enthralled they completely forgot to tell us how it sounds! Oh well, sooner or later someone will remember.
Old 13th December 2011, 03:10 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

does it have any kind of parametric equalizer ?
Old 13th December 2011, 03:30 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Here is the home page for the software: Bodzio Software
Not sure what all types of equalization are included.
Old 13th December 2011, 04:55 PM   #19
dlr is offline dlr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
If you use the PC as the media player, yes. But if, for instance, you are using a receiver or processor or even stereo preamp, you'd only need one sound card.
It depends on how one wants to use it. I've been using the UE v2 (previous release) exclusively for most of this year in my dipole system. Before that I used the original version built into SoundEasy v17 do audition passive designs before building them.

My setup with UE v2 (less demanding of the CPU I expect) is with an old, dedicated PC for crossover duty. I actually started with a P4 1.6G system with 512M RAM. I'm currently using a P4 2.5 headless as I found that I could even use that one with UltraVNC on my local network. A better video card (though headless) improved the response as a headless unit. It is a bit klunky that way, but once set up I leave the PC on. Another (old) PC acts as dedicated music server (also headless). A Roku music server feeds digital out to the digital in of the UE PC. On a new PC I don't see why it couldn't do both crossover and music server duty.

It doesn't necessarily require two high quality cards. You don't have to feed analog out to analog in, you can feed digital out to digital in, so the digital out doesn't necessarily have to be the quality of the analog out.

I do one thing differently than most others as well. I have an MSB MVC-1 8-channel preamp. The UE output feeds the input to the MVC, so I don't have to mess around with digital volume control in a PC. It also provides some protection for the tweeter.

In the end I have a remote (or my main PC with software for control) for my Roku music server and a remote for volume control.

Here's the measured response on-axis with the linear phase option set. I used 1/6 octave smoothed measurements to prevent linearizing every small detail on the single design axis. The high end rolloff is due to my measurement system only going to 24K. I only EQ up to 20K.

Click the image to open in full size.

Dave
Old 13th December 2011, 05:10 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Dave, could you please tell me the difference in sound quality before and after equalization, especially in regards to the phase corrections?
Thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!