wav file problem- compatibility?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disclaimer: I''m computer-stupid.

So I've been editing some 24/96 wav files generated in Goldwave. When I try to play them back using foobar or WMP, I get a "file type not supported or file is corrupted" error. The files open fine in Goldwave. If I save them from Goldwave as FLAC, they open OK in foobar and WMP. What am I doing wrong?

Either of two file-header formats that can be used to describe a 24-bit wave file. Let’s call them Old-school and New-school. Some programs, such as WMP, insist that 24-bit wave files use only New-school headers although they accept Old-school headers for 16-bit wave files. And there are a lot of Old-school programs that know nothing about the new, preferred header format.

Does it work fine if you do the same at 16/44.1?

Haven't tried it. Good experiment.

Either of two file-header formats that can be used to describe a 24-bit wave file. Let’s call them Old-school and New-school. Some programs, such as WMP, insist that 24-bit wave files use only New-school headers although they accept Old-school headers for 16-bit wave files. And there are a lot of Old-school programs that know nothing about the new, preferred header format.

Higher-resolution wavs have often modified headers - so called wav extensible

WAVE_FORMAT_EXTENSIBLE

Q nb.4 at SoX - Sound eXchange | FAQ

Ah, I suspected something like that. Thanks a lot, guys!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Strange. I just made a 96/24 file in Goldwave and saved it 2 ways. PCM signed and PCM (obsolete). Both play just fine in WMP, Quicktime, Audacity, Media Player Classic and several wave editors. No difference. I don't have Foobar or Winamp installed at the moment.

Don't know why you are having the trouble.

WAV is more of a guideline than a defined structure.
The format of how the data is stored must be described in the file header.

Most people happen to use the original structure so there are no problems when reading the files but WAV is so flexible that you can come up with your own data structure if you wish. The software you are using might be arranging the data in a way that players can not read.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.