high end sound laptop to tube amp (no preamp)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not sure if these posts in this forum are for guys listening at their workstations, or are really good and could be used in a high end stereo.
I've looked at sound cards for laptops, and don't see (m)any that aren't home theatre or don't have rca jacks.
Is there a sound card thats recommended?
Thanks,
Paul

I recommend this device
Audiophilleo, computer audiophile USB S/PDIF audio transports

I am using a simple notebook to feed the AP2.
AP2 use a buffer and reclock the signal to send it to your dac. NO COAX cable need ... just plug directly the device on your dac using the adaptor.

The sound is FABULOUS ... far far better than a Hiface (I previoustly owned). It's a bit expansive but it's the best of all.

I own the 2 version but the 1 (the most expansive) have a volume control with remote on it.

pompon, thats a terrible site. At least for an idiot like me. I don't know what it does for $950!
I don't need to convert usb to spdif.
I need to connect usb? (computer/laptop) to rca (amp).
Is there a reason you can't do it directly.

Will my computer sense a external DAC or do you need DAC software for the computer to know its there?
Are there noises inherent in usb connected external DAC's?

Thanks again for your help
Paul

The Audigy 2 ZS laptop card looks reasonably good; up to 24/192, and it has S/PDIF out. It may not work with the newest laptops, though.

Or there's various USB sound dongles. For about $30 you could get a Behringer UCA-202; Windows will recognize it automatically as a USB sound device. It's based on a TI/Burr-Brown codec that's found in some much more expensive devices. USB sound things generally perform well; the only egregiously bad one I've encountered sold for 99 cents on eBay. A $5 one worked fine (based on a C-Media codec chip).

One thing, you'll probably want a preamp or something to use for volume control in between the sound device and the amp, if the amp doesn't have a volume control.

I don't know if this helps, I'm using my computer straight into a tube amp.

I installed Foobar2000 and listen to FLACs. Foobar can slightly improve your existing card with add-ons.

It sounds gorgeous.

I am curious to listen to a good DAC, cause I think I want one. lol, but seriously, it sounds amazing even without one. IMO.

Hi Paul!

There are sooo many DACs out there...

My suggestions:

- A simple solution: Echo Indigo DJ PCMCIA (PC-Card Typ II) Soundcard. Also available as Express-Card version. It has 3,5mm stereo outputs, one of them has a build in volume control, the other one is fixed. Good sound for the money, very good drivers, very reliable. Better than any Crative Audigy stuff.

- An external DAC via USB is the second solution. If only USB is needed (and no other input like optical or coax) I'd recommend the standard-version of the KingRex UD-01 USB DAC. Funny name, but I tested some DACs in the lower price range, and this one is really good! You would need at least a passive volume control, though.

In the upper price range there are better ones, of course. PS Audio Digital Link III comes to mind, or the M2Tech Young. A used Stello DA 100 would also be a nice choice, if you can find one.

Regards
Martin

Yes, a world of DAC's out there. I have been using a Nuforce Icon 2 for about three years now as a desktop pre-amp. It has USB input among many other features and accessories that come with such as speaker cables. I have built chip amps and SE tube amps that I have used with this DAC. I really enjoy the unit because it can fit into many different scenarios. I have had no issues with it since the day I opened the box. They make cheaper units and more expensive units that the Icon 2. You might look into there website for what they offer in DAC's.....and no, I don't have any affiliation with the company.

Not on my laptop but on my HTPC ,I have been using the Cambridge Audio's DAC Magic , it sounds fantastic .. but the best enhancement to the sound was the player software http://www.jriver.com/
Just the ability to widen the soundstage and set the room characteristics made a massive improvement to the sound. I’m adding an Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe but keeping the DAC Magic attached so I can ditch the Sony AV amp and run everything from the HTPC. You can slave the front speakers via the Xonar’s optical in to the DAC Magic then to amp, but in all honesty you need a another two amps for the Bass and rears. But I have a n old Cambridge AV 250 that a bought for spares that I’m going to see if I can slim down and get 2.1 out of it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.