Behringer DCX2496 digital input

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys. I have been trying to choose an electronic crossover and a DAC and saw PE's ad for the Behringer DCX2496. This item comes up pretty often in the speaker forums so I read up on it. I noticed that one set of inputs is described as AES/EBU. I found a SPDIF to AES/EBU convertor by HOSA but there are probably many. Has anyone had experience with converting the SPDIF out on their PC to AES/EBU rather than using a DAC? Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
SPDIF goes straight in

Hi, I use a DCX2496 on my PC speaker system.

I have a cheap generic RCA socket to XLR adapter, it simply connects RCA + input to XLR + and earth to earth. This works fine for digital input: spdif on coax goes into input 1 on the dcx2496 via the adapter, the DCX detects it perfectly.

I don't think you need anything more complex.

The DCX replaced a DAC and analog active crossover very satisfactorily, it's quiet and sounds good. Not wonderful, not state of the art, but for the price a very good result.

cheers

Tony

Thanks for the response, marvin55. I am glad to hear that this will work out for me. I did read on several sites about minor differences between SPDIF and AES3 Voltage level, impedance) but if this works then great. I was also interseted in the crossover portion as I now biamp and look to triamp soon. The time compensation capability seems really useful.
Pano, Thanks for the link and the nod of confidence regarding the Behringer. I am a big fan of searching. Use the tool often. As a moderator, can you not see such activity against my login?

hi janneman, the manual was visible on partsexpress' site and was helpful but I got a little concerned with the reading I did about the voltage and impedance differences between the SPDIF and AES3 formats. I did also read that later circuits had become more tolerant of the differences and am really glad to hear that marvin55 and Pano have had good personal sucesses with a simple solution. Thanks, that pretty much sells it for me.
Pano, big and wooly is right. Swimming thru it best I can. Thanks again.

Hi, I use a DCX2496 on my PC speaker system.

I have a cheap generic RCA socket to XLR adapter, it simply connects RCA + input to XLR + and earth to earth. This works fine for digital input: spdif on coax goes into input 1 on the dcx2496 via the adapter, the DCX detects it perfectly.

I don't think you need anything more complex.

The DCX replaced a DAC and analog active crossover very satisfactorily, it's quiet and sounds good. Not wonderful, not state of the art, but for the price a very good result.

cheers

Tony
Hi: I'm doing the same , and learning very quickly as I go. You are saying rca + to to xlr +(2pin) and shield to shield (3 pin). Set digital input mode on DCX to S/pdif . All should be good? I'm running Foobar 2000 with the (event) Wasapi plugin, hopefully direct to the DCX's Dac. Am I going in the right direction as I need to setup a tri-amp horn loaded system to do my traveling DJ show (Jazz/Blues/Anything that moves you) . Thank you in advance 2S2P

crap..wher eis the picture of the traces you need to cut when you wire straight to the dcs digital input?

going aes/ebu in to dcx.. and where does the pin 1 shileded/gnd go to in the dcx

i replaced the shitty stock dcx xlr with a canare 110ohm shielded one. but all pins in that are isolated from the case.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.