Work in progress... Asio4All Q

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys. I'm late to this party but started a pc audio project. My pc is currently hooked up to my audio system via a simple cord from the analog line out on the soundcard to my preamp and using foobar2000 as gui. Been a little frustrated trying to choose an external dac but still wanted to make a little progress. Would installing Asio4All yield any benefit to me prior to getting the outboard dac? Also, I have seen threads regarding the use of iphones/ipads, etc but have no need for portability so is there any downside to a touchscreen monitor for controlling this? Thanks for any help.

A touchscreen is cool but given the cost vs say an iPad2, what you get for the extra $$$ is sooooooo worth it, portability aside. Using a remote desktop app, you can also configure,control, and add files to your PC without needing a keyboard, mouse or monitor. And while your listening to music on your system, run the Remote app in the background and do any of the 2,000,000 other things that the iPad can do.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
<snip> Would installing Asio4All yield any benefit to me prior to getting the outboard dac? Also, I have seen threads regarding the use of iphones/ipads, etc but have no need for portability so is there any downside to a touchscreen monitor for controlling this? Thanks for any help.

As to whether ASIO4ALL is worthwhile I think depends heavily on what OS you are running.. Also make sure that your audio chipset driver does not natively support ASIO.

All upside for controlling using a touch screen for control particularly if you are going to have wifi active anyway.. (Or ethernet to a Router and WAP somewhere in the network)

Wow! Thanks for the responses.
mayhem, I recognize the enthusiasm for the ipad and appreciate that it has many other uses but I found a touchscreen under $300 and it will be strictly for control of this audio pc so I propose to mount it permanently. Do you know of anything that i could not do with a touchscreen monitor?
kevinkr, i am running win7 home and the audio chipset on my board is the realtek alc662. I have done some searching but so far I have not found anyone saying that asio is supported natively. Is there a resource where I can find out?
Thanks again for the help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.