How to set up an internal sound Card?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
last time I installed my sound card, it took over all sound processing.

I lost the normal computer sound to the little speakers that alert to what one is asking the computer.

I got good music out of the two balanced outputs on the back of the card.

I used XP and E-MU 1212m

I now have win7 on a new PC.

Is there a way to install the sound card such that music and similar go to the sound card and out through the balanced outputs, but the computer housekeeping sounds stay with the on board sound card and come out the SE trs on the back of the MotherBoard?

Keep the answers simple for a computer newbie.

Is it an old sound card ?

Try downloading the latest drivers from the manufacturer.

If its too old you may have to bite the bullet and buy a Win 7 sound card. They are peanuts.

I had same problem when my PC died. I bought a second hand Soundblaster off E-Bay for a tenner. Just check the Creative site to see which cards are compatible with Windows 7.

wow, so many people missed the point of Andrews post!! the emu will work with the new OS and its a nice audio card, better than some generic windows cheapie.

wwenze on the other hand is 100% correct. set up the EMU patchmix control panel as normal and select it from Foobar, but select the onboard sound as your default audio device in the windows sound settings.

you will also need to check the settings in asio or wasapi to turn off exclusive mode. exclusive mode is desirable, but i doubt you will be able to do as you wish with it switched on.

i'm neither a windows user or emu, but i have some experience with both and it was a similar setup on mac os with my RME. i did a quick search to confirm this and it seems correct; perhaps someone will chime in with more specific details.

the EMU drivers were a sore point in win 7 for a long time, hopefully theyve sorted this out for you now. surely they have, because many pro and semipro audio studios use these cards

good luck

No problem Andrew, sorry i would be just reading manuals to answer this for you in detail for windows as i'm a mac user, hopefully someone with more first hand experience of wasapi in win 7 64bit will help out. i'll do what i can in my own words and include a couple of links that will hopefully help out.

asio bypasses all of the many layers of drivers, mixers etc that are inherent in the modern operating system, it is a way to allow bitperfect audio without other layers, or system tasks from interfering, resampling or otherwise messing with the access the audio hardware has to the audio application->system at the core level and the access the audio application has to the hardware. your EMU will allow the use of asio as standard afaik; its definitely not part of the OS like it is on mac, but i'm pretty sure even on win the emu has ASIO level support in the driver. think of it as the perfect no feedback output stage. as in, feedback will only do harm, the audio is already perfect and feedback will only add undesirable harmonics

wasapi (Windows Audio Session API) also communicates directly with the audio application, but does so from the top of a tree of other objects in the audio path including the mixer, effects processing etc.

wasapi was only brought about since vista and apparently does quite a good job, so the need for something like asio may not be as great anymore since we are now dealing with multiprocessor, multithreaded systems that can much more successfully cope with the audio task without getting 'distracted'. Wasapi is different in that there is an instance of it launched with every audio task you create, but i understand it can still be set to have exclusive access to the audio software

now this is where it gets a bit out of my comfort zone with win. ASIO, WASAPI and waveout (sorry dont know anything about it bar it does a similar job) all handle the audio I/O and all need to be selected and setup to work with the EMU, because they do the best job by making sure that the audio is a 'hands off' process to other system tasks, how this interferes with you also wanting the onboard active i'm not entirely sure since win 7

sorry i cant be of more help

oops nearly forgot the link

heres one on the AVS that has a bit of info on asio and wasapi, i'll come back and post a couple more a bit later, i gotta go get a bit of research done before bed, hopefully its enough to get you started

Last edited:
happy to try and give something back Andrew, as alant4321 said, just dive in, you are unlikely to stuff anything up, its software and youre a smart guy, just do your testing without vital loads attached as you would an input stage. i forgot to mention, any changes you make in the EMU control panels should be reflected in your player, but there will be other settings in there.

whichever you choose to use, ASIO or WASAPI there will be an area of the foobar preferences/settings dedicated to choosing the driver, audio device and protocol. i suggest searching AVS forums i linked if you have any trouble with that part, but it should be fairly straight forward and you wont kill anything trying the different options.

good luck!!

The card is in.
The original drivers have been installed from the disc.
The beta drivers for win7 have been downloaded and installed.
Nothing has crashed.
No computer sound.
Plug in headphones and insert CD.
Music from the computer speakers. No sound from the card.
I can't find the asio nor wasapi nor foobar nor MPC-HC.
I'm stuck, exactly the opposite that I ended up with when installed on XP.

What happened to "plug & play"?

well thats not going to work, you need the new driver; at least vista as this is reported to get some results (not in all cases) but there is a beta version win 7 driver here sorry i assumed you would have already looked for win 7 drivers for the emu as your first port of call. any major OS upgrade will generally need a new driver and certainly jumping 3 major OS versions does, the way the OS works now is completely different, so the hardware doesnt have a chance.

this is when some hardware sometimes gets left behind, but though it looked like this possibly might happen to the 1212m for a while, it seems as i hoped, emu has picked up the ball again and there is a beta version for the 1212m. it may not be as 'rock solid' as XP driver, but it should work.

your other points

Foobar2000 wont be there unless you get it, its not part of the OS its an application for playing, tagging and organizing your music files, but this one is much more than that.

you will need to download the wasapi, ASIO and kernel streaming components for Foobar and see which one works best for you from this page you may also want the Impulse Response Convolver (for digital room correction if you plan on using the Foobar digital crossover, it allows you to capture your rooms response and effectively remove its effect) and ALAC decoder if you have lossless ALAC files from the itunes music store

now ASIO i feel is the best system, but i doubt you'll be able to do what you want to do with the system sounds, wasapi is already in your system, believe me, its one of the processes, but foobar will need its wasapi component installed to access it, same with ASIO, same with Kernel streaming. ASIO is well supported by your card, which is another bonus.

is it a MUST that the system sounds are routed to the onboard sound? could it be routed to an otherwise unused output of the 1212m instead?

anyway its too late and past there i'm out of my depth on win, TBH i cant stand the ******* thing, i'd rather chew off my own arm!! from vista onwards the term 'plug and pray' was coined, not kidding. win 7 is supposed to be better, but i thought vista was an utter joke, so full of 'functions' you dont need taking up memory. thus why so many people use XP to this day

anyway good luck, do you know any other forum members that are win users?

Last edited:
The new PC has crashed.
Sudden stop. Everything stops at once.
Unrelated to the new card, since it happened once two days ago. Last night it happened repeatedly.

Come in with instructions on getting the sound card working , but don't expect a quick response from me until after the PC is replaced or repaired.
I am back on my older PC,

The PC is running OK and has done for a few weeks since that last mishap.
I have uninstalled the soundcard twice and installed it again.
I have switrched off and removed the soundcard and after powering up uninstalled the soundcard.

I have tried to install after adding the soundcard back in.

I just cannot get ANY sound out of the PC, not via the original 1/8" trs and not via the soundcards 1/4" trs.

The loss of sound coincided with downloading and running the measurement asios.

How do I get back any sound?

Firstly, neglect ASIO component and make sure hardware and software (O/S + driver) to work properly in your computer.
Hardware: Original built-in sound chipset or additional internal soundcard in desktop
Software: Original driver or soundcard driver under Win7 O/S
In order to test the sound of computer. Here is the formal procedure from Microsoft - [Ref:#1] and [Ref:#2] Other references are [Ref:#3] or [Ref:#4]
If the testing is OK, then check your speaker to work properly. If your computer does not sound, then the captioned procedure must show ERROR.

By the way, give my guideline for selection of soundcard internally or externally for reference. Personally, I prefer “Bit perfect” digital audio condition. “Bit perfect” simply means the input digital audio signal equals to output digital audio without re-sampling by SRC. [Sample Rate Converter] It is because SRC will cause sound bad. In analog, it is called “distortion”. In digital, it is called “jitter”.
All new computers use built-in HD Codec supports “bit perfect” digital audio condition up to stereo 24Bit/192KHz. It explains why Apple’s iPod, iPhone or MacBook sounds good. Besides, most of soundcard suppliers support “bit perfect” condition by-passing SRC using software driver with FPGA programmable chipset, but not all suppliers. This technology is not new and back to over ten years ago. Most computer audio users know it, but not traditional audio user. However, you buy a new soundcard support up to 24Bit/192KHz, but not “bit perfect” audio condition, then any input digital signal frequency is enforced to 48KHz by SRC, then upsampling to 192KHz. It causes jitter. Actually, the new soundcard may not sound better than original built-in HD codec, but you may psychologically feel better due to branding effect. You pay money, but play yourself, it is up to your preference if you like it.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
What does the control panel tell you? Are you able to choose the device?

Do you have a program like ARTA, HOLMImpulse, Goldwave or Audacity installed? They can ping the soundcard and/or allow you to choose different devices. Have you tried the soundcard controls on any of these?

Just for reference! “Bit perfect” condition requires two by-pass:
1) Hardware by-pass SRC. Example using software driver by programmable FPGA
2) Software by-pass sound mixer in O/S. Example using ASIO driver by-pass Kmixer in WinXP O/S
There are too many software which may achieve the captioned goal, but I personally do not touch them all due to limited leisure time.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.