How to set up an internal sound Card?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The PC is running OK and has done for a few weeks since that last mishap.
I have uninstalled the soundcard twice and installed it again.
I have switrched off and removed the soundcard and after powering up uninstalled the soundcard.

I have tried to install after adding the soundcard back in.

I just cannot get ANY sound out of the PC, not via the original 1/8" trs and not via the soundcards 1/4" trs.

The loss of sound coincided with downloading and running the measurement asios.

How do I get back any sound?

Not sure what is happening Andrew, but I suspect the audio settings are somehow screwed up with install and de-install. Some drivers are a pain to remove, but there should be specific driver cleaners on the web.
If what has been promoted above does no good I would suggest de-installing all the audio drivers from the Control Panel, ASIO etc, then reboot the machine.
Even if the system uploads Win audio drivers during reboot, install the latest from the manufacturer's site. That should restore your onboard sound defaults at least to get you back to basics.

Win 7 is quite versatile on the audio side, but get basic audio back first I would suggest....

Bob

Did you turn off the onboard sound system in the BIOS before you installed the Win7 OS?

Somtimes this can cause issues if you don't before you install the OS and then install the new sound card.

I know it works in Linux this way.

I too am still running on XP only because I couldn't get either of my sound cards (Gina24 and X-FI) drivers to work in Win7.

It seems that only the latest creative porducts are supported in Win7 by Microsoft.
I don't know about the other company's.

I do know that there is a third party driver installer for my X-FI drivers but haven't tried it yet as I got tired of messing with it for well over a week.
One night I reinstalled everything five times in one night and nothing worked except Win7 booted and ran.
Not to mention that I can't use my SCSI interface card in Win7 either.
No biggy but I do need good sound!!

I don't mind sticking with XP64 but there are a few nice features that I would like to use in Win7.

I haven't tried it in my newer FX-6100 system yet but I may when I get some time just to see if it either or both will work in that system thinking it is a motherboard issue.
Win7 and Win8 runs fine on my old Opty 185 but my older cards (Sound and SCSI) do not!!! :(

Anyway that is the only thing I can think of trying.
This is very interesting because I was considering on getting the same Sound card you have when I do build myself a new system as the FX-6100 belongs to my mother.

Good luck !!

jer :)

Last edited:
The win7 install was a brand new clean HDD build.
There was nothing to wipe.
The on board sound worked until I installed the sound card.
Then the sound card worked until I ran the measurement asios that another measurement thread put up to get the emu1212 running as a measurement card.
Those two problems, first losing the ON BOARD sound to my two little speakers and then losing the sound card sound to my stereo system were both as a result of what I thought I was doing right.
Obviously things have moved on since msDOS days !!!!

Last edited:
To be fair Jer, it is Creative not writing drivers for 7 rather than Microshite which are the issue.
Win 7 is a lot less pain to get the dac working through my audio system than XP ever was, and I am currently playing hires through the DAC with all other Win audio coming through hdmi to the TV. The DAC simply works unimpeded in the background, although not using WASAPI but the proprietary Asio driver, which was less easy to get sorted on the XP machine.

You are trying to do some Asio measurement stuff Andrew, so can be no assistamce there I'm afraid.
You

One more remark: Since there are too many software, they may use different approach. I am a solid practical guy. No matter how technology sounds good or excellent measurement figure, the final acceptance test is perfectly done by your ear because sound is a perception to human being. Close your eye to avoid branding effect, listen to different unknown audio gears and choose the best one you prefer. Open your eye, then you know the brand name. It is my approach.

....................Microsoft - [Ref:#1] ............
Im stuck at ref 1.

The system is reporting three instances of sound devices.
Two under sound, video & games appear to be working OK and have drivers associated with them. I think both these are pointing to the on board sound device. Don't know why it appears twice.

The third is under other devices/ multimedia audio controller.
It is there but not working. I think this is the emu1212. It reports the drivers are not installed.
When I try to search for drivers it does not give the option to search the net, only on the HDD.

If I download the drivers from emu, where should I save them so that the system can find them when I click update driver?

I wonder if the drivers are different for the 1212PCI from the 1212PCIe.
The card is in the pCI slot. The graphics card is in the pCIe slot.
In my old computer the PCIe slot is empty so the sound card is in the PCI slot as well.

Last edited:
You can save the drivers anywhere you like.
Say even in my doc's, in its own folder.
Then when Device manager ask's you for where they are, you just point it to the directory (folder ) they are in, and then it will recognize that it is a driver and install it into the system.

jer :)

Im stuck at ref 1.

Creative Emu1212 soundcard is quite old at least five years ago. I am doubt if it supports Win 7 64 bit in your new computer. Contact Creative to confirm and ask for correct driver. Current emu1212m model works fine for Win7 64 bit. Normally, driver disc is supplied with soundcard when purchase. Anyway, If you download correct driver from website, then computer will detect it at correct bus interface such as PCI slot and don’t worry about PCIe.
You can download the software driver into your computer at anywhere you like, normally at the folder of My Doucment/Download. Then, click the driver to install into your computer and reboot it. (i.e. Not necessary to update driver again) If there is no “question mark” in system, then your soundcard in ready to use.

(PS: For Scotland event, Barcelona (Spain) normally won Celtic (Scotland) both my favor football teams, but surprisingly at last 90mins by 2:1 by watching TV in UE Champions last night. All results of UE Champions are normal in my prediction)

Win7 has a MASSIVE amount of decent features, some for 'Tech types' and some for us 'Mortals', takes a while to learn where they are though.....

Hi Andrew,
You are able to run XP and Vista software in compatibility mode in Win7!!!!!!!!
Download driver for your device.
Open folder containing driver, Left click highlight / right click to bring up menu and select Properties.
Click Compatibility - Check 'Run this prog in compatability mode for:' and the drop down menu will give a list of Op systems.
Select Win7.
Check box below Privilege level so it runs as Admin.
Click Apply then OK.
Re-highlight driver in folder, Right click and select 'Run as Administrator'.
Hope this helps.

Creative Emu1212 soundcard is quite old at least five years ago. I am doubt if it supports Win 7 64 bit in your new computer. Contact Creative to confirm and ask for correct driver. Current emu1212m model works fine for Win7 64 bit.
I got a reply from Creative this morning.
They are confirming what the download website says. Use the beta driver for my PCI to run with Win7 64bit.

I am not prepared to use again the disc that came with the hardware. It is reported by my AVG that it has a Trojan Horse buried in it. And it is for pre win7.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.