How to set up an internal sound Card? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd December 2011, 12:16 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Dear AndrewT,

My friend in Scotland. I am confident that you can handle it easily. The first stage is installation. It is trivial to you. After listening for few months, the next stage is modification which includes changing the components such as capacitor, OPAMP etc… Enjoy soundcard with a lot of fun.
Old 2nd December 2011, 02:40 PM   #12
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

happy to try and give something back Andrew, as alant4321 said, just dive in, you are unlikely to stuff anything up, its software and youre a smart guy, just do your testing without vital loads attached as you would an input stage. i forgot to mention, any changes you make in the EMU control panels should be reflected in your player, but there will be other settings in there.

whichever you choose to use, ASIO or WASAPI there will be an area of the foobar preferences/settings dedicated to choosing the driver, audio device and protocol. i suggest searching AVS forums i linked if you have any trouble with that part, but it should be fairly straight forward and you wont kill anything trying the different options.

good luck!!
Old 2nd December 2011, 04:59 PM   #13
AndrewT is online now AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

The card is in.
The original drivers have been installed from the disc.
The beta drivers for win7 have been downloaded and installed.
Nothing has crashed.
No computer sound.
Plug in headphones and insert CD.
Music from the computer speakers. No sound from the card.
I can't find the asio nor wasapi nor foobar nor MPC-HC.
I'm stuck, exactly the opposite that I ended up with when installed on XP.

What happened to "plug & play"?
Old 2nd December 2011, 07:26 PM   #14
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

well thats not going to work, you need the new driver; at least vista as this is reported to get some results (not in all cases) but there is a beta version win 7 driver here sorry i assumed you would have already looked for win 7 drivers for the emu as your first port of call. any major OS upgrade will generally need a new driver and certainly jumping 3 major OS versions does, the way the OS works now is completely different, so the hardware doesnt have a chance.

this is when some hardware sometimes gets left behind, but though it looked like this possibly might happen to the 1212m for a while, it seems as i hoped, emu has picked up the ball again and there is a beta version for the 1212m. it may not be as 'rock solid' as XP driver, but it should work.

your other points

Foobar2000 wont be there unless you get it, its not part of the OS its an application for playing, tagging and organizing your music files, but this one is much more than that.

you will need to download the wasapi, ASIO and kernel streaming components for Foobar and see which one works best for you from this page you may also want the Impulse Response Convolver (for digital room correction if you plan on using the Foobar digital crossover, it allows you to capture your rooms response and effectively remove its effect) and ALAC decoder if you have lossless ALAC files from the itunes music store

now ASIO i feel is the best system, but i doubt you'll be able to do what you want to do with the system sounds, wasapi is already in your system, believe me, its one of the processes, but foobar will need its wasapi component installed to access it, same with ASIO, same with Kernel streaming. ASIO is well supported by your card, which is another bonus.

is it a MUST that the system sounds are routed to the onboard sound? could it be routed to an otherwise unused output of the 1212m instead?

anyway its too late and past there i'm out of my depth on win, TBH i cant stand the ******* thing, i'd rather chew off my own arm!! from vista onwards the term 'plug and pray' was coined, not kidding. win 7 is supposed to be better, but i thought vista was an utter joke, so full of 'functions' you dont need taking up memory. thus why so many people use XP to this day

anyway good luck, do you know any other forum members that are win users?

Last edited by qusp; 2nd December 2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 3rd December 2011, 08:54 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

The new PC has crashed.
Sudden stop. Everything stops at once.
Unrelated to the new card, since it happened once two days ago. Last night it happened repeatedly.

Come in with instructions on getting the sound card working , but don't expect a quick response from me until after the PC is replaced or repaired.
I am back on my older PC,
Old 14th October 2012, 03:11 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

The PC is running OK and has done for a few weeks since that last mishap.
I have uninstalled the soundcard twice and installed it again.
I have switrched off and removed the soundcard and after powering up uninstalled the soundcard.

I have tried to install after adding the soundcard back in.

I just cannot get ANY sound out of the PC, not via the original 1/8" trs and not via the soundcards 1/4" trs.

The loss of sound coincided with downloading and running the measurement asios.

How do I get back any sound?
Old 15th October 2012, 01:57 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Firstly, neglect ASIO component and make sure hardware and software (O/S + driver) to work properly in your computer.
Hardware: Original built-in sound chipset or additional internal soundcard in desktop
Software: Original driver or soundcard driver under Win7 O/S
In order to test the sound of computer. Here is the formal procedure from Microsoft - [Ref:#1] and [Ref:#2] Other references are [Ref:#3] or [Ref:#4]
If the testing is OK, then check your speaker to work properly. If your computer does not sound, then the captioned procedure must show ERROR.
Old 15th October 2012, 03:58 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

By the way, give my guideline for selection of soundcard internally or externally for reference. Personally, I prefer “Bit perfect” digital audio condition. “Bit perfect” simply means the input digital audio signal equals to output digital audio without re-sampling by SRC. [Sample Rate Converter] It is because SRC will cause sound bad. In analog, it is called “distortion”. In digital, it is called “jitter”.
All new computers use built-in HD Codec supports “bit perfect” digital audio condition up to stereo 24Bit/192KHz. It explains why Apple’s iPod, iPhone or MacBook sounds good. Besides, most of soundcard suppliers support “bit perfect” condition by-passing SRC using software driver with FPGA programmable chipset, but not all suppliers. This technology is not new and back to over ten years ago. Most computer audio users know it, but not traditional audio user. However, you buy a new soundcard support up to 24Bit/192KHz, but not “bit perfect” audio condition, then any input digital signal frequency is enforced to 48KHz by SRC, then upsampling to 192KHz. It causes jitter. Actually, the new soundcard may not sound better than original built-in HD codec, but you may psychologically feel better due to branding effect. You pay money, but play yourself, it is up to your preference if you like it.
Old 15th October 2012, 04:14 AM   #19
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

What does the control panel tell you? Are you able to choose the device?

Do you have a program like ARTA, HOLMImpulse, Goldwave or Audacity installed? They can ping the soundcard and/or allow you to choose different devices. Have you tried the soundcard controls on any of these?
Old 15th October 2012, 04:26 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Just for reference! “Bit perfect” condition requires two by-pass:
1) Hardware by-pass SRC. Example using software driver by programmable FPGA
2) Software by-pass sound mixer in O/S. Example using ASIO driver by-pass Kmixer in WinXP O/S
There are too many software which may achieve the captioned goal, but I personally do not touch them all due to limited leisure time.

Hide this!Advertise here!