upgrade power supply for external hard drive ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just bought a Seagate 2TB USB 2/3 external hard drive for my mac mini at office max for $99 and was pleased to get it .
But, the wall wart power supply looks awfully lightweight . I'm going to check it with my multi meter but wondered if there are any suggestions for simply a better power supply for this drive . It's used for storing my iTunes library .
I did some searching online but so far have only found a page for testing wall warts and how to add DIY filters.
Any experienced folks willing to make suggestions ?

tx

I might sound ignorant, but what would you like to improve by getting a better psu? faster rate transfer? better audio quality?
Unless I'm wrong I think transfer rates depend on usb speed, and audio quality is limited to usb (if you're connecting directly to a dac) as well.

I'm running an external 1.5tb via usb 2.0 without problems, connected my pc, a quad core amd 965 (running at 3.4ghz stock)

Unless you have a very old computer, you won't have any issues (I used to run the same with my laptop, with intel M 1.7ghz and 2gb ram.

Sorry to be of no much help, but I'm not sure you'll benefit having a better psu for the hard drive.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.