Is there any PC based software to crossover the L & R channels to the sub?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am putting together a PC based 5.1 system for movies and music.
It would work out very well if I could get the PC to crossover the lower frequencies from the front left and right channels and direct them to the sub.
Is there any software available that can do this?

Hello spot,
first, the LFE ( sub ) channel on the soundcard is active only when the soundcard is set for 5.1 ( or 7.1 ) output . I don't know of any standalone software that can take the sound from another app and do an upmix to 5.1 , but there are plugins - like ''channel mixer'' for foobar - that can do that , you just have to look for a plugin / add-on for the software that you use. Also most 5.1 systems ( at least the ''PC'' type ) have a built-in filter / mixer for the subwoofer ( so you get some bass even in stereo mode ).

Maybe AC3Filter can do that.

An M-Audio Delta 410 PCI card that I was thinking about getting has bass management built into the card, with selectable crossover frequency. There's some used ones on eBay now for a reasonable price, with the necessary breakout cables, if you're in the US (seller only ships UPS). I'd buy one but UPS tends to add crazy brokerage fees when delivering in Canada.

i think what you need is to replace your Sound card.. what you want depends on your sound card....other cards usually emulate only the output of 5.1 speaker system

the cheapest pci card i have is the CMI 5.1 PCI sound Card it has output for SUb and i'm not happy with that.

this is what i have on my PC now.... Logitech 5.1

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi Spot,

I now use the Media Player Classic with AC3 filter exclusively for all music and video. AC3 filter let you set up your speakers, in my case I have a 4.1 system. You can set up bass redirection and the cut off frequnecy. It also has a facility to create your own matrix to redirect the front channels to the surround speakers.
Media Player Classic and AC3 are free downloads so you'll lose nothing by trying them out.

Cheers

Ned

Hi Spot,

I've built some new amps and a problem has just come up with AC3 filter and its to do with bass redirection levels. When you are using a stereo input and use bass redirection to the sub, there is no way to adjust the level of the redirected bass. The subs level control only works when the input is a separate LFE channel. This has occured because of different amplifiers for the sub in relation to the other channels and the sub is far too loud. There are two work arounds for this:-

1) With the bass redirection box ticked, add some of the front channels (inverted) to the sub channels. I use -0.5L and -0.5R.

2) Add a line level control (potentiometer) to the input of the sub amp and adjust for the correct level with redirected bass. Adjust the levels of the bass within AC3 on 5.1 inputs when redirected bass is off.

AC3 allows you to save your speaker settings, so I now call up the one required for whether the input is stereo or 5.1. Hope this helps in your setup.

Cheers

Ned

On a PC speaker (5.1 ch) like Logitech X540 is not possible because his pre'amp construction is wierd,the speakers gets signal from front L&R input not from SUB input,and LFE crossover has no efect on sub speaker.Also bass-redirection is wierd.
I have X-Fi Titanium Fat. Pro. and Xonar D1 audio card and act exactly the same,they have (booth card) bass redirection option,LFE freq. cutoff by driver software. Real AV Recivers (multichannels) are no dificulties with setings for sub.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.