Anyone ever tried this way to disable front audio headphone and microphone sensing?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was thinking about getting a soundcard that disables the rear output if a front audio connector is plugged in. But I want to have output from both at the same time. Front panel to my monitor speakers (which are not very nice) and the good rear output to my headphone amplifier.

Here is what I came up with. Get an Apevia Audio Extension Cable and then cut the 6, 7 and 10 pin cables. Then plug one end of this extension cable into the sound card front panel output and the other end into the front panel audio cable for the computer case. These pins that are numbered seem to be the "sensing" wires. If the circuit is broken then soundcard should not detect that anything had been plugged into the front audio connectors.

Anyone tried this? Does it sound like it might work? It doesn't sound like it should fry it. (I am aware that because of impedance issues the sound quality may suffer when both the front and back are plugged in at the same time.) Also, the cable is less than three dollars so the investment is not substantial.

Thanks for any and all opinions.

Desktop Boards — Front panel audio header pinouts

Welcome to Apevia.com | *CVTAUDIOE25

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.