Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Xonar ST/STX mods...
Xonar ST/STX mods...
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th October 2017, 01:22 PM   #791
Devangel91 is offline Devangel91  France
diyAudio Member

Hi, i live in France and i a here to ask if someone could upgrade the clock on my Stx for a good price, i am bad with soldering so...Sorry for my english.
Old 4th November 2017, 08:24 PM   #792
Wungun is offline Wungun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYBras View Post
Sometimes a almost invisible solder "bridge" between adjacent pins provokes problem (short circuit). In this case, the regulator becomes hot. This occurred to me sometimes.
So, perhaps is interesting to measure for shorts.
Meh... I decided to go a different route, and turf the Xonar for a China DAC kit and use Toslink DSD instead.
But of course, retain my Burson opamps and regulators and discrete clock!
Old 2nd January 2018, 12:53 AM   #793
razvitm is offline razvitm
diyAudio Member

Is there a way to reduce the 10 ohm output impedance of the headphone connector on ST or STX? From the measurements it looks like there's a simple 10 ohm resistor in series with each output. We should replace that with a 1 ohm or a bridge on both channels...
Old 4th January 2018, 05:59 PM   #794
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member

Xonar ST/STX mods...
The 10 ohm resistors it should be there as it are. Their impact over the signal quality or level is minimal. These resistors it compensate (lower) the capacity of the connected output cables, seen by the output stage (buffer).
1 ohm it will be a too low value. A higher capacity seen by the output stage (circuit), it can destabilise its parameters or functionality...
Old 6th January 2018, 04:16 AM   #795
ko853 is offline ko853
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucpes View Post
IMHO adding external power supply to the molex won't make much an improvement. There's switching regs ICs on the board that provide +/- 12V for the IV and headphone amps from +5V on the molex and they're noisy. Also the 5V analog for the DAC is powered from +12V of the molex through a 7805 - here you will get SOME improvement. 3.3V comes directly from the PCIex slot and it's... dirty.

The best results would be to add linear regulated power on the board with separate feeds to +12,-12, 5 and 3.3V.

If you really feel the need to add external power to the molex I'd say 2.5/3A for the 5V line and 0.5/1A for the 12V line.
I've connected the molex many times AFTER the rest of the PC was on and I think you will have no problems powering the molex first as long as the external supply is grounded to the PC supply (even at the molex connector).

In short you will make no smoke around if the supplies share the same ground.
I add external power to the STX II 7.1 molex with 5A for 5V and 1.8A for 12V. It ok for 2ch but with 7.1 It seems not enough power. Do you have any recommend about current of 5V and 12V when use for 7.1? Thanks.
Old 6th January 2018, 04:20 AM   #796
ko853 is offline ko853
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucpes View Post
IMHO adding external power supply to the molex won't make much an improvement. There's switching regs ICs on the board that provide +/- 12V for the IV and headphone amps from +5V on the molex and they're noisy. Also the 5V analog for the DAC is powered from +12V of the molex through a 7805 - here you will get SOME improvement. 3.3V comes directly from the PCIex slot and it's... dirty.

The best results would be to add linear regulated power on the board with separate feeds to +12,-12, 5 and 3.3V.

If you really feel the need to add external power to the molex I'd say 2.5/3A for the 5V line and 0.5/1A for the 12V line.
I've connected the molex many times AFTER the rest of the PC was on and I think you will have no problems powering the molex first as long as the external supply is grounded to the PC supply (even at the molex connector).

In short you will make no smoke around if the supplies share the same ground.
I add external power to the STX II 7.1 molex with 5V 5A and 12V 1.8A. It's good for 2ch but seems not enough power for 7.1ch. Do you have any advice?

Xonar ST/STX mods...Hide this!Advertise here!