Xonar ST/STX mods... - Page 33 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th April 2013, 11:50 PM   #321
Corvus5 is offline Corvus5  Poland
diyAudio Member

Coris, have you tried improving I/V opamp feedback? There's a resistor and maybe capacitor. I was improving this place many months ago but the card was like a stock. Now I improve this and it's amazing! The difference is much bigger than before! I can't move back. Much more details, clearer image and even proper vertical position for some sounds. Distant sounds are so clear on the opamp where it wasn't before.

Any tips?
Old 8th April 2013, 12:21 AM   #322
diyAudio Member

HT Omega is multimedia peripherals manuf. that supposed makes "high-end" audio cards, too. Their cards are similar to Asus, some say better. HT Omega uses that CMI8788 decoder specifically, not re-badged. Still confused as to why you brought the reclocker CS2000 into the disc. -- specifically what it has to do with parametric control that the 1792 offers.
Anyway, the 1792 is thought to be a better (tho' older) version of the 179x family. See this link for 1792 vs 1796 diffs.

EDIT: The Claro Halo XT by HT Omega card is here:
http://www.htomega.com/clarohalo_xt.html
It's similar to Xonar (same OEM??) but uses a AKM DAC.

Last edited by hollowman; 8th April 2013 at 12:37 AM.
Old 8th April 2013, 12:29 AM   #323
diyAudio Member

The CS2000 is used on the Xonar Essence ST cards. Not on the STX. You can't control directly the PCM1792 from the Windows driver. You can control the CMI8788 and tell it to send the data to the I2C. It may seem easy to me as I already designed one DAC and wrote a driver from scratch with the ATMega doing also a lot of different work. Humanoidal machine, jaw movement and wrote speech synthesis with my voice.

Going back to the topic: I'll ask the unixonar driver programmer for some help here.
Old 8th April 2013, 12:57 AM   #324
diyAudio Member

Corvus5: I posted on this topic in the dedicated thread a few days back ...
If we can adapt TI's demo software (or similar) -- via ad hoc drivers, etc -- to directly control 1792, then this would be a good thing. E.g., being able to take advantage of ASIO and play with 1792's useful parameters like filter selection, sample rate, etc.
Old 8th April 2013, 01:22 AM   #325
diyAudio Member

I'll take a look. Do you wish to get something like this?
Attached Images
File Type: png J01 - Spectrum.png (10.9 KB, 129 views)
Old 8th April 2013, 05:37 AM   #326
diyAudio Member

Default 1792's filter option

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvus5 View Post
I'll take a look. Do you wish to get something like this?
No I want whatever results when 1792's datasheet-specified filter for slow or fast is selected. I'm hoping that "slow" will improve time-domain performance (hard to tell w/o impulse test). Also 1792 allows software to turn digital filter off, as prev. suggested, so one can use external DF. This should be interesting as one may be able to NOS it.
Do you have a contact inside Asus? It would be nice to incorporate all this into the default Audio Control Center.
Oh ... BTW ... did you ever do 44.1 vs 192k sample rate graphs?
Old 8th April 2013, 08:52 AM   #327
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowman View Post
Do you have a contact inside Asus? It would be nice to incorporate all this into the default Audio Control Center.
No, I don't.

Quote:
Oh ... BTW ... did you ever do 44.1 vs 192k sample rate graphs?
Yes, a lot. What would you like to see on them? The hard part is the noise which changes in time. It may be due to temperature change even if it's a few degree change. The current setup has some THD present and is very quiet. If I wanted to get very good results on paper, I would stick to the original topology. Too bad it does not sound good.
Old 8th April 2013, 08:52 AM   #328
BKSL is offline BKSL  Slovakia
diyAudio Member

Digital flter can be done turned off. Problem is data format which must be selected after.
"The PCM1792A in the external digital filter interface mode supports right-justified audio formats including 16-bit, 20-bit, and 24-bit audio data".
CMI8788 chip supports only I2S format for audio digital data. We can not use this CMI chip with PCM1792 with disabled internal digital filter in pcm.
Old 8th April 2013, 09:15 AM   #329
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKSL View Post
Digital flter can be done turned off. Problem is data format which must be selected after.
"The PCM1792A in the external digital filter interface mode supports right-justified audio formats including 16-bit, 20-bit, and 24-bit audio data".
CMI8788 chip supports only I2S format for audio digital data. We can not use this CMI chip with PCM1792 with disabled internal digital filter in pcm.
You're wrong. It's the format for the digital filter. If you disable the filter, you use external one. There are:
- WDCK (word clock)
- DATA_L
- DATA_R
- BSCK
- SCK
And the format you've said is used for the filter, not the PCM1792 data source. These are different lines. I see no problem.
Old 8th April 2013, 09:27 AM   #330
BKSL is offline BKSL  Slovakia
diyAudio Member

PCM chip needs to be "feeded" by right-justified audio format only with disabled internal filter. I think.
CMI chip can not feed PCM chip with this format, CMI not supports right justified audio format.

Last edited by BKSL; 8th April 2013 at 09:29 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!