Xonar ST/STX mods... - Page 26 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th March 2013, 01:42 PM   #251
Corvus5 is offline Corvus5  Poland
diyAudio Member

I powered up the TCXO from the 7805. Not the low noise but still may be better than sharing the 5V of the DAC. I used the +12V from the xonar 7812. The noise, the THD, the IMD has rally changed. Doesn't look good. The fine tuned 5V is now detuned.
Old 14th March 2013, 11:13 PM   #252
diyAudio Member

Default Confused! or Corvused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvus5 View Post
I powered up the TCXO from the 7805. Not the low noise but still may be better than sharing the 5V of the DAC. I used the +12V from the xonar 7812. The noise, the THD, the IMD has rally changed. Doesn't look good. The fine tuned 5V is now detuned.
Confused...er... Corvused ...Are you using 12v for the TXCO (which is designed for 5v)? (Remember: you STILL have to reg. it down to 5v)
IAC ... if you want to tap a 12v source, build a DEDICATED/regulated pwr source for the TCXO. If you don't want to try the 5v Flea reg. I noted earlier, use Tent's simple ckt here:
Click the image to open in full size.
Also, as I noted prev., go back to the 12v Molex input terminal BEFORE any Xonar regulator. Use ferrite beads liberally -- they are cheap.

Last edited by hollowman; 14th March 2013 at 11:28 PM.
Old 21st March 2013, 09:10 AM   #253
diyAudio Member

Hollowman, I used the 7805 for the TCXO. The input voltage for this regulator comes from the +12V/GND line on the board, just from the 7812 output. I do not make use of ferrite beads. It's hard to tell the difference and the board tuning is harder. I keep the required elements to the minimum.

I started to make intense use of tantalum caps on the xonar card. Ordered much more smd tantalums and some more smd ceramics. Meantime I improved the connection to the headphones. This card can give the sound I've never heard on headphones.
Old 21st March 2013, 09:44 AM   #254
diyAudio Member

The RFS may need some break in, it wasn't used for over a week. The FC is ok. The same voltage, capacitance is different. The FC has 80mohm ESR at 100kHz, the RFS is uknown but quite comparable with DF. Such a small difference but the clearer impulse is much better sounds more airy, more clean, has better resolution and much more depth.
Old 21st March 2013, 12:19 PM   #255
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member

I come with my measurements here...

My next step (and maybe tha last one) in this almost finish mod of Xonar STX, is the battery power for the Crystek oscillator.

Last edited by Coris; 21st March 2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 21st March 2013, 03:59 PM   #256
diyAudio Member

Default RFS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvus5 View Post
The RFS may need some break in, it wasn't used for over a week. The FC is ok. The same voltage, capacitance is different. The FC has 80mohm ESR at 100kHz, the RFS is uknown but quite comparable with DF. Such a small difference but the clearer impulse is much better sounds more airy, more clean, has better resolution and much more depth.
What's 'RFS'? Cap brand, I assume. Panasonic FM are known for the break-in period. But when they do, sonics really snap in.
Old 21st March 2013, 06:21 PM   #257
diyAudio Member

Coris, please set up the recording source using xonar panel. Sometimes the change is required for proper switch to work. Looks like the measurement taken with the wave out mixer. Also the peak is important. I my case I can't reach more than -8dB due to card.

Hollowman, the RFS is the Elna Silmic II. The card measurements at this level is hard. After a few minutes somethings gets little noisy and the measurements are worse.
Old 21st March 2013, 07:10 PM   #258
diyAudio Member

I do not have the Xonar panel. I don't want it and I don't need it. I have installed only the driver. I have used Line IN and the L/R channels output connected in loop through an potentiometer (1/10). Actually I do use the STX only to play files. The IN stage in my card is normally unused.
Do you have some suggestions about the recording level for those measurements?
After I will finish the last mod (battery powered oscillator) I will remake the measurements.
Old 21st March 2013, 10:00 PM   #259
diyAudio Member

AFAIK you don't have to install the xonar panel. You may run it and it will only give a smal latency during the Windows session. Restart and it's clear. The measurements you've taken are from the "wave" input, not the real. I get the silimar when I choose the "wave" input. Seems your driver doesn't want to switch to line input. Weird.
Old 21st March 2013, 10:35 PM   #260
diyAudio Member

OK. I have disabled "Wave" and enabled/default "Line in" before measurements. Loop in between output - Line in. I could see that Line in were active (level meter worked). I will verify again.

I have finished now the battery powered oscillator. A big increase in quality. The fidelity is just exceptional, but the most impressive now is the sound stage. It gets more depth and both the instruments and voices are very well separated in space. The speakers are just transparent. The sound is in the room and fill it. Very impressive!

Last edited by Coris; 21st March 2013 at 10:43 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!