Xonar ST/STX mods... - Page 25 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th March 2013, 03:27 PM   #241
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvus5 View Post
Coris, can you post your THD measurements of your card?
You know, I just did not think ever to measure the THD on my card. It is working so fine and it give me a such hi-fi sound that I never thought to do it.
But It could be interesting to know the THD level on my board (with Crystek oscillator). To be an fair/right comparison we may use the same setup to measure this. If you can give your setup or describe your method, and the name of the software application you used to measure this, then I will try to reproduce it on my board, and we can see the results afterwards.
Old 7th March 2013, 10:02 PM   #242
Corvus5 is offline Corvus5  Poland
diyAudio Member

The measurements were made using RMAA. I used the headphone output. I improved THD a lot by using LM4562 and improving Xonar -12V line. Each capacitor model gave different filtering resulting in different THD. The current setup has much clearer and much more fresh mids. The 3kHz is very important when producing music as I do this occasionally. It's the third formant of professional singer.
Old 9th March 2013, 04:26 AM   #243
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The measurements were made using RMAA.
For jitter, do you follow something like this procedure?
Old 9th March 2013, 06:59 AM   #244
diyAudio Member

.... or was it via instructions directly from RMAA here?
Old 9th March 2013, 11:02 AM   #245
diyAudio Member

For jitter measurement I used ARTA from the ARTA/LIMP/STEP pack. I'm however sceptical about measuring jitter on the same card due to the same clock being used on DAC and ADC.
Old 9th March 2013, 10:51 PM   #246
diyAudio Member

Quote:
For jitter measurement I used ARTA from the ARTA/LIMP/STEP pack. I'm however sceptical about measuring jitter on the same card due to the same clock being used on DAC and ADC.
Do you mean that for the measurements -- jitter, whatever -- you've been posting, you are indeed using the SAME computer (as in the RMAA procedures I noted above)?
If you're concerned about using the SAME computer you could, e.g., use another computer (e.g. friend's laptop) for running ARTA or RMAA.
Old 10th March 2013, 10:45 AM   #247
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowman View Post
If you're concerned about using the SAME computer you could, e.g., use another computer (e.g. friend's laptop) for running ARTA or RMAA.
Using another computer would introduce large jitter error from the recording card. The Xonar ST uses CS2000 to multiple the CMI8788 clock twice and feeds it to the ADC. It's better to use card with very low jitter and then compare two playing cards. If the difference can be seen, then the recording card is good enough.
Old 10th March 2013, 04:44 PM   #248
diyAudio Member

I can't go belows some Asus measurements when using best PSU. However I can gain a lot when dealing with the oscillator PSU. No change in measurements like noise or THD, but the sound changes a lot. Now I find the 7805 with output bypassed with tantalum 27uF and 100nF ceramic to be pretty good. The ceramic value is critical for 24MHz range: external tests show more than 30dB noise reduction. I may find the CLC better: the 50dB noise reduction for 24MHz is possible when using ferrite bead.
Old 10th March 2013, 08:42 PM   #249
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I can't go belows some Asus measurements when using best PSU. However I can gain a lot when dealing with the oscillator PSU. No change in measurements like noise or THD, but the sound changes a lot. Now I find the 7805 with output bypassed with tantalum 27uF and 100nF ceramic to be pretty good. The ceramic value is critical for 24MHz range: external tests show more than 30dB noise reduction. I may find the CLC better: the 50dB noise reduction for 24MHz is possible when using ferrite bead.
You could try the Flea reg., a tuned and tweaked ckt for canned osc's. To work with 12v Molex power, skip the 7812 and all before it.
I use the whole thing in a few other (older) projects -- with good results.
Old 11th March 2013, 12:07 AM   #250
diyAudio Member

Default consternation...or is that constipation?

Quote:
Using another computer would introduce large jitter error from the recording card.
This remark can be a source of consternation...or is that constipation? Uh ... er ... anyway ...the burden of proof on on thee.

Hide this!Advertise here!