Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th February 2013, 09:58 AM   #181
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvus5 View Post
Coris, do you know the inductance of the CLC filter in the 5V stage? I almost completely removed 5V stage on the card. I remodeled CLC to filter to be more a C(R+L). Also used the metal cover. The sound become fresh much more detailed. More than ever on this card. Sound effects are fresh. The previous noise is non-existent. Knowing the L value would help me properly model the rest.
Sorry, I do not know this detail...
Old 18th February 2013, 11:05 AM   #182
Corvus5 is offline Corvus5  Poland
diyAudio Member

I still have to decouple opamps and line input. That's why there are some channel differences. I should try to remove 50Hz hum from the power. Also I wonder from what comes the high roll-off: feedback caps or signal filtering.
Old 18th February 2013, 11:27 AM   #183
diyAudio Member

Is that probing on the "line in"?
If so try do short the input and take another shot. Is the 50HZ still there?

I have the same. And some issues around 20khz but only when a 50ohm impedance cable connected to a probe. When shorting the inputs it looks fine.
Old 18th February 2013, 11:44 AM   #184
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambadoo View Post
Is that probing on the "line in"?
If so try do short the input and take another shot. Is the 50HZ still there?

I have the same. And some issues around 20khz but only when a 50ohm impedance cable connected to a probe. When shorting the inputs it looks fine.
Yes, this is probing on the "line in" the signal from the card output, in my case through headphone out. The output is practically not shorted, however you may thing the ground plane is shorted, but it's the same card and the output uses the same +12V/gnd/-12V as the line in. I thing the ground loop may not be the problem. Maybe the PSU fault.
Old 18th February 2013, 11:52 AM   #185
diyAudio Member

In comparison the line out without final stage opamp, so it's comming through the probably 500-1000ohm + 100ohm. Large voltate dropout (can be 30dB) when supplying headphones. The noise and the THD. Noise floor is -146dB. Wow! The 50Hz and its odd harmonics is still present. The THD has a lot of harmonics but is shouldn't matter here.
Old 18th February 2013, 12:22 PM   #186
diyAudio Member

Just a short overview of the meaning of decouple and noise filtering. HP - headphone out. 2 - decoupled version.
Old 19th February 2013, 12:05 AM   #187
diyAudio Member

I'm Planning to use the Xonar Card..

I havent read the thread in detail..

How important is the PC power supply for the overall sound???

I was thinking of getting a Horizontal case to build my new pc but I have a Large empty tower that could hold just about anything..

Thanks, Joel
Old 19th February 2013, 10:52 AM   #188
diyAudio Member

By measuring the noise I found the required capacitance in the given filter. Too small made the lower frequencies noisy and introduced some peaks in the spectrum. This is also audible: it changes the sound resolution. Using too high capacitance and far away causes the higher freq to not be filtered properly.
Old 19th February 2013, 10:59 AM   #189
diyAudio Member

Here's a sample comparison on the Xonar. It may be a small difference but the noise went from high freqs to mid and the change in the sound is audible while listening at ex. -7dB max volume which is medium.
Old 20th February 2013, 08:15 AM   #190
diyAudio Member

The Vanguard should arrive today. I removed all electrolytic caps from the xonar supply output at the 5V and +/- 12V stages. Used relatively small MLCC caps. Seems more transperent, unnatural and requires all analog stage to use MLCC otherwise the sound is slowed down somewhere. I heard MLCC give high THD at low frequencies.

Hide this!Advertise here!