Xonar ST/STX mods... - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd January 2013, 10:34 AM   #101
diyAudio Member

Short question. I use a stx but only the spdif. It is connected to an external dac. Any good advice for tweaks here?

Best regards
Old 23rd January 2013, 10:54 AM   #102
Corvus5 is offline Corvus5  Poland
diyAudio Member

I'll leave these coupling caps, I don't use this track. I already tried connecting final stage opamp with a cable to the plug with a low resistance like 10 ohm of even lesser. I took the ground from the rca output and the signal directly from the opamp. This cable went through the inside of computer. Man, I could hear my computer working. There was a big difference between sound drivers (ASIO, WASAPI, etc.). Te biggest difference was between Foobar ASIO 32-bit and 64-bit. I could hear spikes when moving mouse, hard disk spinning and playing audio. It was outer space ;-)

Opamp selection for this xonar depends on what you plug in. Some are easier to play properly but limited. Some can play very well but in some cases they are awful.

Coris, I tried adding 1000uF/25V elna rjh for each i/v opamp. Slightly better defined bass with more audible power. Higher tones not. This suggests the card is missing something somewhere else. I can't wait to decouple digital stage
Old 23rd January 2013, 11:39 AM   #103
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambadoo View Post
Short question. I use a stx but only the spdif. It is connected to an external dac. Any good advice for tweaks here?

Best regards
The S/PDIF uses probably on board 3.3V. The track is near the output and one of the first card pins. You may find information in this thread as this matter was already discussed.
Old 23rd January 2013, 11:57 AM   #104
diyAudio Member

A few 2.7nF MKT caps near output amp: are they in feedback loop to decrease gain at high frequencies and lower power usage due to hf noise in cable or do they supply power?
Old 23rd January 2013, 12:47 PM   #105
diyAudio Member

I started soldering on my card with the TPA power decoupling caps. I don't know what's the parasitic resistance and impedance between RCA amp socket and TPA amp, but I added there some os-cons first time and there's a change in the headphone sound settling time. It's shorter as I would improve my cables and plugs. This headphone driver now doesn't have a sound signature that had to be fixed. It's gone. It's clearer and much pleasant to listen even if I use this Elna RJH 2x 1000uF for I/V which is not very clear.

What I noticed now is that power input filtering caps (os-cons near the molex plug) are a bit hot. A little above body temperature, I would say 40-45 celsius. Other caps are cold.

Coris, have you tried unixonar drivers? I noticed they are a little clearer than the official ones, I choose the least lagging instalment option.
Old 23rd January 2013, 02:10 PM   #106
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambadoo View Post

Best regards
No any advice... SPDIF it works very well as it is.
Old 23rd January 2013, 02:28 PM   #107
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvus5 View Post
I'll leave these coupling caps, I don't use this track. I already tried connecting final stage opamp with a cable to the plug with a low resistance like 10 ohm of even lesser. I took the ground from the rca output and the signal directly from the opamp. This cable went through the inside of computer. Man, I could hear my computer working. There was a big difference between sound drivers (ASIO, WASAPI, etc.). Te biggest difference was between Foobar ASIO 32-bit and 64-bit. I could hear spikes when moving mouse, hard disk spinning and playing audio. It was outer space ;-)

Opamp selection for this xonar depends on what you plug in. Some are easier to play properly but limited. Some can play very well but in some cases they are awful.

Coris, I tried adding 1000uF/25V elna rjh for each i/v opamp. Slightly better defined bass with more audible power. Higher tones not. This suggests the card is missing something somewhere else. I can't wait to decouple digital stage
You must almost use there (digital decoupling) some ceramics. The normal caps are too big and may introduce parasitics or even worse, theirs high ESI may work bad on this decoupling...
I forgot to mention that both part of the board or maybe entire board may be shielded. Do not forget also that 3,3v come directly from the computer power supply, via motherboard... It collect so all from the computer and send you out on audio... That because the best mod is to first make an own PSU for this board analogue stages, digital (DAC), clock...
Old 23rd January 2013, 03:03 PM   #108
diyAudio Member

Coris, thank you for out pointing 5v filter caps, DAC 5v decoupling and 3,3v filter caps on your previous images. It's much easier now

I modify the TPA power. I noticed the sound got faster, higher tones are slightly louder now and precise enough to provide some details. The echo reverberation is also better defined and easier to hear: I can not only hear the echo but also the reverberation given to it. All higher frequencies and now controlled better.

Is there any power supply design you can recommend?
Old 23rd January 2013, 03:38 PM   #109
diyAudio Member

The imaging got better. Sounds are more narrow, vocal too. Much more space with overall better quality. No downgrade. However some vocals sound more natural, there's now sweet comming from the music production. They sound more like a raw vocal. Sound also went slightly to the front which is very hard on my headphone construction and possible to fix with some powerful tube amps.

I like it
Old 23rd January 2013, 05:19 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

Choir is smooth like in real. Electric guitars now play music using its whole spectrum: not only the base to sound pleasant or with louder higer tones for impact but unpleasant sound. It's now sweeter. Even if the guitar is distorted by effects, the power comes. Music with many hi-frequency instruments is smooth and pleasant to hear. A lot of details comes from them. Stock card sounded like a rock. After month of tries I came to the "ok" and "good" sound, but I lost to better dedicated amps. Now the sound is very nice. I've got to listen to every son once more. If there were a lot of trebles, I've got to listen twice, it's so much different, so much proper.

Hide this!Advertise here!