Net "radio" without a PC......?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What is currently the best way "receive" net radio (in various formats) without a PC in order to feed to a a stereo sys?
There are are some very good, high bit rate net sations and I have a net connection right by my sys.

I know there were a couple of net radio intefaces in the past but I forgot what they were called. I believe the original ROKU was one.

Thanks...

I decide to fire up an old Win '98 sys tomorrow that is very quiet (1 fan) and has Winamp intalled.
It only has a "SB AWE64" installed so, I don't know how good it will sound through my sys.

I will just need to route a short sound input from around the corner (where my computers are set up) into my sys.

The old 440BX sys may have a second life! :)

Last edited:
I have a Mac Mini connected to the AV amp and TV - use it for all the multi-media duties. The Noxon is connected to my audio setup in a different room. It supports uPNP as well, so I can access iTunes, etc. as well as iNet radio.

The only issue I have with it is if it is left on overnight, it goes to sleep and won't wake up - Terratec have been really ****-poor at resolving the issue - basically ignored me.

I decied to use my P4 (3.06 gig, XP) sys for my net audio.
It has a MOBO with onboard Realtek ALC662 audio that actually sounds pretty good.

I aready had it set up near my sys but, it has mutliple noisy fans.
If anyone remembers the legendary "3Dfiles.com" it's one of the orginal "Tornado" cases marketed by one of the sites oweners.

So, I disconected one of the fans and with the others turned way down (with a NEXUX fan controler) the noise is now much lowered and acceptable. It still has plenty of cooling.
It sounds much better than the Win98 sys with the SB-AWE64

Anyway, I now have good souding net audio access for my sys. :)

BTW, after recearching net audio options, I decied to get a ROKU 2-XS eventually for my TV

Last edited:
There are tons of streaming radio apps (such as Tune in radio) for the iPhone / iPod touch, so a cheap iPod Touch connected to your local Wifi network sitting in an iPod dock can make a simple, small, very low power and completely silent/cool streaming radio receiver for most mp3/aac audio streams.

The dock is optional but is convenient in that it props it up as well as providing both power and audio out through the one dock connection, instead of plugging in a normal USB charging cable and 3.5mm stereo jack separately.

Analog output quality is actually pretty good, certainly better than any laptop or PC on-board sound, both of which always have high noise floors with lots of digital noise and hash from the cpu and internal buses. (It's not as good as a high quality sound card or external DAC though, but more than good enough for internet streams IMO)

Last edited:
Which iPod dock(s) have line outs, to connect to a stereo?
The Apple ones do, as well as most of the 3rd party ones. (You'd want to check obviously)

The dock connector at the bottom of an ipod has line level audio outputs among its pins, so the dock is just passing them directly through to a 3.5mm jack at the base of the dock.

Much the same result as just separately plugging into the headphone socket, except the audio out passed through the dock is always at full volume (roughly normal line level) and unaffected by the volume buttons on the device.

if you're into linux or hacking in general, you could look into installing openwrt on a router that has a usb port, and attaching a DAC. I've done this for the bathroom and made it battery powered. i use it to pick up an ogg stream from my machine downstairs but its the same principle if i wanted to receive a stream over the internet.

most info is here: MightyOhm Blog Archive Building a Wifi Radio – Part 1, Introduction

This tutorial is truly amazing.

yea he did a great job. i snagged the same router off ebay just to keep things simple when i did it. there are some flying around with dd-wrt on them, but this'll only work with openwrt. there's no need to make the serial cable to flash it though.

the hardest part about the whole process is learning to use the vi text editor :rolleyes:

my bathroom streamer doesn't last very long on the 4xAA batteries though. gonna build a charging circuit at some point

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.