Jack For Windows Output Config - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th August 2011, 04:17 PM   #1
Goto is offline Goto  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Jack For Windows Output Config

I don't know if anyone is working with JACK on Windows but I have reached the end of my talent, trying to get a specific setup working.

PC is XP, running current build of Jack for Windows. I have an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 with latest M-Audio ASIO drivers. I have FOOBAR for media playback.

I can get JACK to route from FOOBAR to the SPDIF output of the M-Audio card, no problem.

I want to use the FOOBAR Crossover plugin to generate a sub output and route it to the analogue outputs of the M-Audio card (i.e through the card's buit in DAC) whilst everything above 150hz goes to my main speakers via the SPDIF output, through my main DAC. I can get four outputs working from Foobar into JACK.

What I cannot figure out is how to get the connection from JACK to the waveout section of the Audiiophile. I only seem to be able to have 2 playback ports on the JACK System entry in the Patchbay or Connection windows. I need four outputs, specifically connected L/R SPDIF and L/R WAVEOUT.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Mark

Last edited by Goto; 28th August 2011 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Added detail and clarification.
Old 28th August 2011, 05:12 PM   #2
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

First, I have no experience with jackd and asio on windows.

Based on documentation, jackd uses either 4 channels Using JACK on Windows | JACK , or the maximum your device offers (jackd(1) - Linux man page , portaudio backend parameters).

Yet, in linux, I would not be able to use both the SPDIF and analog outputs in jack at the same time without any configuration, since these are defined by the driver as two separate PCM subdevices (very likely the same in windows). I do not think we can specify two devices in jackd configuration. In linux, I would have to merge the two devices into one multichannel device (5.1 analog channels plus 2 SPDIF channels = 8 channels) using the multi plugin in alsa ( .asoundrc - ALSA wiki ), and tell jackd to use this new multichannel device. I very doubt you can do these tricks in the ASIO framework, but perhaps I will be pleasantly surprised

Last edited by phofman; 28th August 2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old 28th August 2011, 06:25 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phofman View Post
First, I have no experience with jackd and asio on windows.

Based on documentation, jackd uses either 4 channels Using JACK on Windows | JACK , or the maximum your device offers (jackd(1) - Linux man page , portaudio backend parameters).

Yet, in linux, I would not be able to use both the SPDIF and analog outputs in jack at the same time without any configuration, since these are defined by the driver as two separate PCM subdevices (very likely the same in windows). I do not think we can specify two devices in jackd configuration. In linux, I would have to merge the two devices into one multichannel device (5.1 analog channels plus 2 SPDIF channels = 8 channels) using the multi plugin in alsa ( .asoundrc - ALSA wiki ), and tell jackd to use this new multichannel device. I very doubt you can do these tricks in the ASIO framework, but perhaps I will be pleasantly surprised
I suspect you're right phhofman. It's taking too much time. I'll end up using hardware DSP at this rate.

Thanks anyway.

Mark
Old 29th August 2011, 08:56 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

A-ha!

My fault for relying on ASIO.

Shutting down JACK and switching to addressing the M-Audio card direct using Kernel Streaming I was able to set up four outputs from Foobar, then using the Foobar Crossover plug in, I could set up a lowpass filter on the Sub tab and a high pass on the next tab and bingo - main speaker feed is now out of the M-Audio SPDIF interface into my Buffalo2 and the sub output comes out of the analogue rcas and into my sub amp.

After about 20 hours of increasingly complex nerdery, a simple solution, and one that works every time I fire it up.

As a shortterm solution to getting the lows away from my Bandors, this is a result. Main drawback is it only works for stuff I can play through Foobar. I feel a mammoth ripping season approaching as the nights draw in.

Mark
Old 29th August 2011, 09:05 AM   #5
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goto View Post
A-ha!

My fault for relying on ASIO.

Shutting down JACK and switching to addressing the M-Audio card direct using Kernel Streaming I was able to set up four outputs from Foobar, then using the Foobar Crossover plug in, I could set up a lowpass filter on the Sub tab and a high pass on the next tab and bingo - main speaker feed is now out of the M-Audio SPDIF interface into my Buffalo2 and the sub output comes out of the analogue rcas and into my sub amp.

After about 20 hours of increasingly complex nerdery, a simple solution, and one that works every time I fire it up.

As a shortterm solution to getting the lows away from my Bandors, this is a result. Main drawback is it only works for stuff I can play through Foobar. I feel a mammoth ripping season approaching as the nights draw in.

Mark
The simpliest solutions are usually the right ones

Still, I would be concerned about different delays between your analog and SPDIFed channels. Very likely the time shift is not negligible.
Old 29th August 2011, 04:28 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phofman View Post
The simpliest solutions are usually the right ones

Still, I would be concerned about different delays between your analog and SPDIFed channels. Very likely the time shift is not negligible.
You'd think so but I can't hear any tanglible issues. To be honest it works much better than I'd have thought likely. I played some music with lots of fast, intricate acoustic bass up and down the fretboard and it sounded very good.

Hide this!Advertise here!