My poor man music server

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
nice work, did you consider using xbmc and android remote? Something I'm considering as it can do both music and movies. If you use xbmc lite, then its like an appliance, no OS needed. I'm not sure if it has USB drivers but. If not Ubuntu would work nice.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion.

I've checked XBMC Lite "Dharma" version some months ago but was having problem where the playback is about 10% faster than normal speed. It was related to 44Khz to 48Khz conversion (or vice versa, I don't remember) of the USB audio interface. I didn't spend any real effort to troubleshoot and just use foobar that I know better.

But as now I have coax on my motherboard, I'll give it a re-try. For sure it could be better, lighter & faster than Windows.

Edit : I just checked XBMC site and they now have "Openelec" version which is XBMC optimized to the extreme. Very very interesting.

Last edited:
Hi i2k92
Thank you I will try PlugPlayer. but maybe I will buy 7 inch Tab for the system only

Now you are using.. USB - TubeDAC - Analog - Tripath(analog in Digital Amp),
Full digital Amp like QA100 or Japanese RSDA302U, my TI, has no analog conversion.
If you interested please try :)

you're welcome :)

I've checked your site, you have some serious equipment there :eek:. I wish I have knowledge & time to do such projects.

BTW, if you use foobar you can also use its' http control component to remotely control foobar, so you'll only need internet browser. There are some web interface on hydrogen audio forum. But they're not as pretty and functional as uPNP controllers for Android.

Last edited:
I've always used mpd (linux server) with mpdroid (android smartphone). mpd is designed with a client/server structure in mind, so its quite natural. the mpdroid software allows streaming to the handset as well as just controlling. xbmc has a nice mpd client that i use instead of the normal xbmc music player, so i can control it from the tv as well as a smartphone. there are also web and desktop clients for interacting with mpd.

if you open the right ports you could stream to your phone whilst on the go, but i dunno what the performance of that is like. the same as any internet radio i imagine

Depends on the functionality you require left intact: if you're running a proprietary USB driver, or Kernel Streaming with music stored internally, you literally terminate all services bar three or four, and de-install all programs apart from the player.

You can even shut down explorer.exe and bring the total number of threads down to around 130 during playback.

If you need network services, you'll add around 40-50 more threads in active duty.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.