ASIO output possible for web browsers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've look around for some sort of plugin that would allow chrome/firefox to output audio to an asio driver but haven't seen anything. With more and more high bitrate streaming available this seems like it would be worthwhile. Does anyone know if something like this exists or is possible?

Thanks.

The high bit rate is mostly the video content. Generally, the audio content is similar to a "poor" wma or aac bit rate and is at 48Khz, a standard sampling rate for PCs, so it can be passed through without resampling anyway.

The exception is full HD blu-ray, but then the high audio bitrate is multi-channel and still lossy compressed. The 8 channel audio is only slightly higher bit rate than 2 channel CD. I've never heard of any site streaming full HD at blu-ray bit rates with 8 channel audio. Most ISPs can't stream this reliably anyway.

So I can't imagine that anyone capable of writing a driver ( like say kernel streaming over hdmi from within a flash video played through Chrome ) would bother, knowing it would make little or no difference. Besides anything else, it may need the browser / flash software to be modified to function, so even a motivated third party couldn't do it.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.