Best USB->I2S Option?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi I just wrapped up a design that hit the market recently (playGo) and am working on the next generation follow up. I'm curious what the enthusiasts here recommend for us on the USB DAC? A lot of hype around the XMOS, is that best or the Via Envy or what else do you guys recommend? Our main goal is to support 96/24, 192 would be nice but could cause some design challenges because our product is wireless. Thanks for any feedback!

Tenor TE7022L works up to 96/24. Example is Teradak X2. Personally I'd look at asynch devices. Musiland do some asynch usb devices up to 192/24. M2Tech Hiface can be hacked for I2s too so you could have a look at these for "inspiration" ;-) I like Wolfson dacs.

Your site has some very confusing info :

Audiophile quality 2-channel analog output
24-bit/96khz analog output (192kHz option)

Analog cannot have a sample rate or bit depth. You need to remove stupid stuff like this.

If you're using an asrc you should have fractions of ps jitter - upgrade your mclk.

Is the volume control in digital or analog ? If digital, what bit depth ? I'd want floating 32-bit. If analog, is it a crappy pot or something like pga2311 control ?

So really, is it audiophile or just mutton dressed as lamb ?

106dB dynamic range
-93dB THD+N

Hmmmm....not exactly impressive.

Sorry, but it comes across as a nicely packaged bit of average electronics.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply!

Thank you for the detailed reply KlipschKid. I will definitely research the different 96/24 options you presented.

I also appreciated the feedback on the website, you are right on - there were some confusing points so we addressed all the points you raised and have updated the playGo.us website.

We definitely did have to hit a certain price point so we weren't able to put in the ultimate digital to analog conversion however it sounds fantastic and if you insist on better audio quality the upsampled digital output is mind blowing. Our friends at THIEL Audio are raving about the sound quality, find out more on their facebook page. I don't know any USB Audio devices out there, let alone lossless and wireless ones, that have a SRC419x and are under $500.

If playGo is not high-end enough then I recommend stepping up to our zoet line, zoetaudio.com.

Anyways please keep me posted if you have any other feedback or if you'd like to play with playGo!

Agreed! We went through quite a design process while picking the clock - using our AP SYS2722 we tested a number of different oscillators. We ended up using a custom spec'd Oscillator from Transko - it's 50ppm but customized duty cycle that is almost an even 50/50 (just like the Euroquartz part you recommended). We compared the different PPM ratings within a few different lines of oscillators and saw that they were all almost the same. I think it's a yield based specification, most oscillators operate at a very stable level these days. Heat is the key to having a stable ppm, so we have a huge ground plane to dissipate the heat nicely. In any case the TIE rating (Time interval error) is 1.9 RMS picoseconds. TIE Jitter is the variation in the clock’s transition from its ideal position over many cycles.
For comparison, will definitely sample the Euroquartz oscillator you recommended too.

Hi there.

Check out exadevices

I do think the exaui would be the best USB-I2S solution.
It'll cover all kind of sample rates and you can run multichannel at a good quality from what I read.

The only disadvantage from my perspective is the propriatary driver,
which is Windows only. On the other hand without that driver they
probably wouldn't have been able to achieve todays performance.

As long as these guys stay in the market you'll for sure will have support for the drivers. And IMO driver support is a key subject.

Cheers

One more.

One of the key features of the EXA unit is its galvanic isolation from the PC.
There are not very many devices out there that I'm aware of offering this IMO pretty important feature. You'll find it also in top quality commercial products. E.g. an Ayre QB9 is offering galvanic isolation fom USB.

The EXA jitter performance on I2S is acceptable. It's actually not that great due to the chip which takes care on galvanic isolation.
A typical catch 22 scenario. Though I think they are working on improving that situation. Howeever. There are quite some rather trustworthy
people over here raving about that device as it is today. Its overall performance can't be that bad. ;)

Cheers

Last edited:
ExaDevices USB-I2S & loTech DSD Player (beta)

I agree with soundcheck's recommendation of ExaDevices USB-I2S. Over the years I have heard numerous DACs in home and show settings. The ExaDevice is stable and reliable, the price is reasonable, and it is in the top tier of I2S performance, IMHO. It is my new personal reference for USB interface.

Recently, the company introduced a beta loTech DSD Player which allows DSD DIFF files to be played. I am converting my music library from WAVE to DSD DIFF which is an additional improvement in playback performance, IMHO .
(DSD Playback with exaU2I).

Hi guys,

There's an open-source initiative for adaptive USB-I2S which hits 24/192 in stereo. We have working modular hardware (USB-I2S module and separate Analog Board). The thing plays natively on Mac and Linux. Experimental drivers (or driverless async 44.1 & 48) on Windows.

Updated hardware is on its way to me from the assembly guys.

Here's the link to our initial announcement: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/185761-open-source-usb-interface-audio-widget.html

Cheers,
Børge

Have a look at Rigisystems USBPAL. It's a professional solution, not DIY, and it's fairly good. the site is Rigisystems.net. I am currently evaluating it for a design of my own and would definitely recommend it.

Abraham

Hi,

I am interested in this too since there appears to be a reasonably well developed DSD over USB function.

I have had a look at the site, but cooulkdn't work out whether the Rigi interface is asynchronous. Do you know? Thanks in advance.

Have a look at Rigisystems USBPAL. It's a professional solution, not DIY, and it's fairly good. the site is Rigisystems.net. I am currently evaluating it for a design of my own and would definitely recommend it.

Abraham

The evaluation board runs at 254$. That's an argument. Compare that to EXA2UI. ;) Of course the question will be how it performs in comparision.

Does anybody know if the device can be driven with an external supply?

One big issue I see is that it seems to lack the galvanic isolation which comes with the EXA interface..

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.