Spotify in the USA - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th July 2011, 02:02 PM   #1
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Default Spotify in the USA

Spotify is in the US now. I'd like to try, but you need an invite. Anyone want to invite me? (send a PM)

I'm a long time Internet radio user - from MusicMatch radio at the turn of the century thru Launchcast , Shoutcast and Pandora, as well as many streaming broadcast stations. I've done both paid and free.
Since Spotify has a 320K Vorbis stream for paid members, that is enticing. But I'd like to check their library - mostly jazz and classical - before paying.

Thoughts?
Old 15th July 2011, 03:01 PM   #2
Atilla is offline Atilla  Norway
diyAudio Member

Hey Pano, PM sent. See if it works ok.

I've got quite a few invites left, so just post in this thread if you want one.
Old 15th July 2011, 03:05 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Otherwise I've used Spotify for quite a bit, I've been paying for about an year and a half as well and I'm extremely happy with it. It has a lot of things I've trouble finding otherwise and is very convenient. Hi-quality Vorbis is just amazing too.

There is a lot of Jazz, but I hear libraries are a bit country-dependent, so it might be different in the USA. But in general the library is expanding all the time and it's getting pretty rich by now. It's worth 2 beers a month over here, so it definitely delivers quite a lot, compared to its cost
Old 15th July 2011, 03:13 PM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

PM reply sent.
Old 15th July 2011, 03:29 PM   #5
diyAudio Moderator

OK, just 10 minutes with Spotify and I'm convinced. Even the free version sounds much better than Pandora. Bandwidth usage is low and as a number of reviews stated, it starts very fast.
The selection is great in both classical and jazz. I'm listening to Ravel at the moment, plenty to choose from.

Leave it to the Swedes to engineer a better music service. Thanks Atilla for the invite.
Old 16th July 2011, 10:40 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Seriously, this service has changed a lot of things around here, all for the better

*Atilla who still misses "Johnatan from Spotify"
Old 16th July 2011, 10:50 AM   #7
diyAudio Moderator

I can imagine.

After spending a day with the free service, I'm pretty impressed. One major flaw, tho. The adverts are LOUD! If I turn off the volume leveling they are insanely loud. Mostly because I listen to classical and jazz that are recorded at -18dB (or lower) average level. The adverts must be a full 10dB hotter, maybe more. And they are never for any music I'd listen to.

Going to the pay service would fix that, of course. But it's relatively expensive, compared to the pay services I'm used to. $10 a month for Premium? I can get a Netflix movie streaming account for $2 less. And Pandora One only costs me $3 a month.

It's a great service, but the pricing is going to keep a lot of folks away from the paid accounts.
Old 16th July 2011, 11:18 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
But it's relatively expensive, compared to the pay services I'm used to. $10 a month for Premium? I can get a Netflix movie streaming account for $2 less. And Pandora One only costs me $3 a month.
It's amazing how our perceptions of value change, isn't it? A library of all the recordings in the world in great quality are not worth even $10 a month these days.

Yet I am perplexed by the way people are prepared to pay 0.79 per track from iTunes without batting an eyelid. I know such people, and I find they are simply not open to the idea of streaming vs. 'buying' the music. Yet these same people are the ones who do possess the gizmos that are capable of streaming all the time, or storing tracks which are playable 'offline' from the streaming services like Spotify.

Paying 0.79 for a track would cause me extreme pain, but 10 per month for Spotify (with the high quality streaming option) seems like a bargain to me. In the end, the music industry probably makes the same amount of money from me (I probably didn't even used to buy a CD per month) but I get all the music in the world to choose from. Seems like a win-win.
Old 16th July 2011, 11:27 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
One major flaw, tho. The adverts are LOUD! If I turn off the volume leveling they are insanely loud.
The volume levelling seems to be a bit controversial. I initially assumed it was volume normalisation per track, i.e. fixing the maximum level of each track at full scale, but I would swear that it is acting as volume compression and destroying the dynamics. An acquaintance concluded the same thing independently from me, and I have seen arguments about it on the interweb. Could be easily proved I suppose.

Anyway, I never turn on the volume levelling.
Old 16th July 2011, 11:34 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default 100%

Quote:
I can imagine.

After spending a day with the free service, I'm pretty impressed. One major flaw, tho. The adverts are LOUD! If I turn off the volume leveling they are insanely loud. Mostly because I listen to classical and jazz that are recorded at -18dB (or lower) average level. The adverts must be a full 10dB hotter, maybe more. And they are never for any music I'd listen to.

Going to the pay service would fix that, of course. But it's relatively expensive, compared to the pay services I'm used to. $10 a month for Premium? I can get a Netflix movie streaming account for $2 less. And Pandora One only costs me $3 a month.

It's a great service, but the pricing is going to keep a lot of folks away from the paid accounts.

I agree with Pano.

The ad's are to loud ! And it is not so cheap!

Best,

Audiofanatic

Hide this!Advertise here!