PC-based server versus network-based player - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th July 2011, 06:42 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If you wanna go PC route please knock yourself out, but in the end you'll come back to non-PC based solution, and I am talking from experience here.
Not in the least. I run a pro soundcard (m-audio 1010LT)in asio mode for input of two Turntables, a bluray player, input from the satellite receiver, streaming from the net etc.; dsp processors in a foobar vst wrapper (equalizer, ambiophonics DSP - the Moscovitz version and the Hotto program for TV and analogue input signal) and I find the sound quality comparable to a standalone cd player (I had the micromega stage 2 and a pioneer 59AVI before I went the PC route).

I transfer and listen to Lps with my unit, record streaming video and rip Cd's.
I have ripped > 1TB in flac by now, and I use foobar Upnp as my server for other machines in my home network.

I run SPDIF from the soundcard in 48kHz to Kef 104/2 with A 2.100 hypex amps.

I would not even consider going back to a single purpose unit.
Old 11th July 2011, 04:28 PM   #12
frenzic is offline frenzic  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Why the 48Khz if I may ask?
Old 11th July 2011, 06:01 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

audio kraut, why would you bypass m-audio DA converters? they don't suck. Certainly not the best, but better than a consumer product which is likely to be 1bit delta sigma or cheap 24bit (especially the onboard clock) and cheap, noisy preamps. . . .BTW I use a digidesign 192 I/O 16 channel with an external Lucid clock (that is damn near the Best available at $7000) in the Studio I work in. . .if you are converting 44.1 to 48k to stream your output your are potentially adding error as you are sample converting to an odd numbered sample rate...most audio you did not personally create is going to be 44.1 sampled...I record at 88.2 so I get a smooth, easy sample conversion to 44.1 (they are multiples of each other) for CD audio....48k-96k (multiples again) are for DVD output and 192 is a pointless format that is intended yet again to be outputted to DVD formats, it is a multiple of 96k . . . I would have all your DA conversion done in your interface. . .

Last edited by erickalan77; 11th July 2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11th July 2011, 06:44 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Hillbear neither of your methods considered are normal or standard for professional recording engineers and recording musicians. That is all that I am
familiar with as I am a recording engineer.
In the studio Analog goes into the "Interface" and digital to the computer via USB, Firewire and Proprietary systems used by Avid/Digidesign (Protools HD Systems).....we do all our processing and storage in the computer and use the interface for DA conversion and preamp duty. . . .

In the studio I use Protools HD3 which is a system that uses two Accel cards and a controller card (6 TDM DSP processors) in an apple pro with 8 Xeon processors. So I have 14 processing cores handling my audio and DAW...then it is sent to a Digidesign 192 I/O with an external Lucid Clock . . .this is the best way to handle audio ( PC versions available ) .. . .now you are not a recording engineer. . .

I will tell you what I do at home for entertainment and mastering my mix downs from the studio:

Anything computer based stays there. mp3/ internet streams/ DVD movies. ( I don't own a TV or DVD player ). . . I output everything via USB to my interface ...a Line 6 UX2 (I will only use the ASIO Drivers ) . . .which handles all my clocking, AD/DA conversion and preamp/headphone...this goes to my premium home stereo on one of the line inputs. I could use the preamp outputs and go straight to my amp. How ever I listen to Vinyl, tape, FM and have a ultra premium Yamaha CD player so my computer based audio goes to my Sansui c2101 preamp. That is the best way to run a computer based system...get yourself a professional interface ( be careful the cheap stuff is cheap ) I recommend Presonus firewire based FireStudio and Emu 0404USB. . . there is not reason to use spdif for anything other than using your receivers DA converters or as an input ( or DAT recording ). . . beware of clocks. there is a good outboard ART product that is only $100 and the EMU has a good clock...but anything capable of using outboard clocks already has good clocks in it. External clocking is for studio recording/monitoring when we break out $2000 clocks.

And with a pro product you get input sampling up 96k or 192k...once a recording is made the sampling is set and does not concern you as long as your gear can handle the format.but nothing is being sold that is not a minimum of 24bit/48k (DVD minimum) . . .JetPLL sounds like it might be marketing hype...somewhere I saw that it is noise shaping...not actually a better clock...noise shaping is great (MASH and Yamaha Pro-S ? ? ?)....

All this other stuff I read about on hear is unfamiliar to me and questionable...hub on your PC, a single output to your "interface"

And hey with a pro interface you get instrument inputs, mic inputs, line inputs, and headphone outputs that do not have to go through other gear....

keep it simple and clean and you will be happy . . BTW my home system is PC/Vista Premium . . there is nothing Apple only out there except Apple software
Logic/Garage Band. I crash the studio's $21,000 Apple daily...it is a turd- but I push it hard.

later,
~e`~

Last edited by erickalan77; 11th July 2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12th July 2011, 12:13 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
audio kraut, why would you bypass m-audio DA converters?
I actually use the converter, but only to upsample to 48kHz. I feed the spdif directly into the appropriate input of the hypex amp, which internally converts any input to 48kHz anyway for the dsp and then converts to analogue.
I use the dsp of the hypex as a 2nd order crossover, which then feeds a subwoofer via single analogue cable (bash amp). Eventually I might use a PC based crossover and assign output channels to the m-audio outputs, but the present setup is rather convenient. Only one cable per speaker and less sensitive to noise.
I run windows & on my system, upgraded last year from XP.
Cannot think of any problems with the OS. In xp I had some soundcard crashes, and had to reinstall. No problem in W7. Love it.

Hide this!Advertise here!