Shockproof stand for Squeezebox

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The Squeezebox is a great way to access music stored on a computer. I found that the following DIY support stand slightly improved the sound. I am not making any wild claims about this but as it costs almost nothing [except your time), it is a worthwhile exercise.

IMG_0098.jpg

The 'supports' are standard rubber bands retained with screws or nails, the 'feet' are two golf tees and a homemade spike [tees on the front and the spike on the rear] as follows:

IMG_0101.jpg

And the stand in use:

IMG_0097.jpg

The remaining 'bits' of the golf tees can be pointed using a standard pencil parer!

Enjoy.

Having the Squeezebox shock mounted, it follows that the internet router [which is now in the audio chain] might benefit in a similar fashion. So I built the following shock mount stand for the router [about ten minutes work] and found that, like the Squeezebox, the sound improved slightly when the router is isolated from its surroundings:

IMG_0091.jpg

Detail of the golf tee 'feet':

IMG_0095.jpg

And with the internet router in place:
IMG_0090.jpg

In general I found that the sound of my system was smoother when the Squeezebox and internet router were placed on the supports [ensuring of course that the rubber bands were supporting the devices and no part of the devices was in contact with the frame of the supports]. I also found that I was listening at lower volume levels than before [the use of silver speaker cables and interconnects may or almost certainly have contributed to to the smoother less strident sound than when my previous cables, which were Nordost cables, were used].

I believe that other users may get similar gains from the use of such a support otherwise I would not have published the details here.

Please forgive my ignorance but, how it this supposed to benefit?

My original reply was posted when the system was in the middle of some maintenance and it only accepted a few lines.

As I said I have no idea why this simple suggestion should benefit the sound from your Squeezebox Duet. In your system it may not make any difference but it did in mine. To find out make a pillow from a scrap of bubblewrap and put it under the Squeezebox. Do the same for your Internet Router. Listen for a week or two and check if your system sound has changed when you remove the bubblewraps.

Vibration is known to affect electronics. I was inspired by looking at a studio microphone antivibration mount. [SME use 'O' rings in the construction of their turntables too.] I wondered if such simple methods would improve the performance of my Squeezebox. It did even though I suspect the Squeezebox is mainly chips and surface mounted components. I would love to hear [read] if others benefited as I did. Even if the shockproof mounting did nothing, post your results here.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.