How do I rip a DTS encoded CD to multichannel flac?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You can use eac3to. See eac3to - audio conversion tool - Doom9's Forum.

Here's a quote from DTS 9624 decoding - SurroundSound | Google Groups

Joe A
View profile

Yup, you nailed it for the ones I had a problem with too...

I did try earlier pointing eac3to to the DVD structure (which it
didn't like), but feeding it the extracted DTS files with the Arcsoft
dshow components worked like a charm.

end quote

I did not read all of it but it seems to me you have to install Arcsoft dts decoder and do what Joe A did. That way you get WAVS in the original bit rate/sample rate and you do not have to worry about deltas. Then you can use dbpoweramp to make flacs and do tags.

That is because it is no longer DTS if you convert to flac and that is why you have to decode the DTS before you turn it into flac. Flac is not a container (like avi, mkv, vob), it is a codec, just like DTS (divx, x264, mpeg2). It does not matter if your source DTS stream is on a CD or on a DVD, it is all about the stream you need to decode.

Either you decode to multichannel WAV to have something in a format FLAC understands and does not add further compression or you extract the streams you need and save these as files. Ripping is something you do to copy media bit for bit, it is not the same as extracting streams from said media. That is demuxing. There is also the problem of delta's which you circumvent if you decode to lossless like WAV or FLAC. That way you can be sure 24/96 gets played that way and not at a crippled 48khz sample rate. If all else fails I'd fire up the old Foobar2000 and convert that way. But you do need the streams for that to work. Which container formats are you dealing with?

Last edited:
Yes backups are mandatory if you are serious about data. Anyway I found out it is possible to use the soft you bought to rip the DTS CD and in conjunction with a soft called wav2dts get playable files you can tag. From there all you need is foobar2000 which can convert anything to anything to get 5.1 lossless and maybe a 2channel version for CD. Foobar is free.
5.1 DTS Wav to FLAC [Archive] - Doom9's Forum

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.