the Replay Gain tag

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wasn't sure if this belongs in this forum or "Everything Else" but here goes...
Does anyone have experience with Replay Gain using Winamp?
Info I find thru Winamp and Google leaves a lot to be desired, and I consider the folks here much more expert in these matters. I currently have about 30k files, so I don't want to mess around having to redo things!
What form does the RG take within the tag?
I also understand the Track vs Album settings, but have seen no mention of how that applies to a "mixtape", where ultimately it is an album, but the sources are different.
What's the most efficient way to deal with lots of files?
Some of my files are <-1dB and others are >-6dB. I'd be extremely appreciative of any help I could get.

I guess I'm alone on this one. I did find a technical breakdown of the tag format. I've also concluded that there is no truly efficient way to deal with 10s of thousands of files. It will probably take another 24 hours to auto-scan and set the tags in my files. Afterwards, though, I will be able to make any necessary adjustments using my tag editor, so I consider my issues resolved.

The way I see it is to drag all your files into foobar2000 and then wipe all the replay gain settings. I don´t see the value in this technology at all. I just play with 0db output to dac and amp at a fixed setting of -48 db according to the scale on the volume knob. It is very rarely that I have to adjust. My speakers are Celestion DL8 series two, about 89db sensitivity so not super sensitive.

To each his off-topic own.
I do find the RG "Album" setting to be of limited value. I rip the source without normalization and set the amplitude as a whole, so my album data files are already matched.
I like using random play for playback (the best "radio station" I've ever heard :) ) and the Track setting works well for this. I only need to adjust how loud I want it via my DIY preamp. This comes at a minimal cost - I have to turn RG off when I play an album.
I have no interest at all in using "approved" software and hardware. I use Winamp and the DFX plug-in and have for well over a decade. It works for me and I like it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.