Pure Player

npetralias, I like to thank you for your pure player
already several days running on my son's eee pc, just sound great after updating sound driver.

foobar2000 impressed me at the beginning but listening comfort degrades afterwards, not so with pure player :)

I've also noticed with PP that the sound is getting drastically better after track 4 or 5, maybe my illusion though, any of you experienced this?

Yes. I personally use Audiophile Linux 1 (i don't know about 2) because it sounds better in my system and ears.
When used properly (jack and low latency) the sound is more raw and clear. Additionally playback result is not changing by time. Windows (especially XP) seems to sound worse after a few hours or after opening-closing some apps. You may try listening to a song before and after a restart. Most of the times the result is better after the restart.

Do you have a different opinion?

Jack by principle cannot improve sound quality, it is just a layer between application and the sound layer - alsa, used for transporting data and control between audio production applications. It introduces additional conversions to float32, its internal format, adds to your CPU load. Audiophile linux is created by a guy who honestly states has no background in linux audio, just did what heard in internet discussions.

Also low latency adds to your machine CPU load. But is it audible? I very much doubt that and noone has made/reported about a proper blind listening test with positive results.

Last edited: