Pure Player

Please find a "wasapi problematic" cd track and rip it to wav (there is a button "to wav"). Then try to play the wav using wasapi. This will help me debug it.

I tried both ways, 1st convert the file to wav first then execute wave file, and 2nd just play the track number, both cases with Wasapi set to ON, these 2 cases give me the same result, i.e. no music is being played and then jumps from track to track till the end.
I debug, result below:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

C:\pureplayer>del /Q C:\pureplayer275\chk

C:\pureplayer>start /b /WAIT C:\pureplayer275\freaccmd -t 300 -e WAVE -o tmp.wav
-cd f -track 2
Processing file: Audio CD 0 - Track 2...done.

C:\pureplayer>if 1 == 1 (
start /b /HIGH /WAIT C:\pureplayer275\flacplay_wasapi tmp.wav C:\pureplayer275\

goto end
)
Trying to play tmp.wav
Wasapi Mode Selected...
Filetype detected: WAV
Input WAV stream: stereo @ 44.1kHz, 16bpS
Allocated 40MB buffer
Opening exclusive mode device...OK - Latency 450ms
Elevating priority to pro audio...OK
Touching memory...OK
Playing... 00% Timeout while waiting for event DONE

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I even set the decoder to play 16bit 44khz.

I hope the debugging output would be of some help to you.

So you cannot play a simple wav 16,44100 file with WASAPI.
Can you play a simple mp3 using WASAPI?
If yes, please convert it to wav first and tell me the result.

No music output, when I set the Wasapi ON. This is how I do it, drag an mp3 file to the PP user interface, set Wasapi to On, decode to wav file then play wav file--->NO music. When I set Wasapi OFF, I get music.

What is happening?

I have absolutely no knowledge of wasapi but your discussion resembles issues with low-level access to soundcards in linux.

The direct-access device in linux alsa hw:X accepts only formats supported by the soundcard natively (hard-coded in the corresponding driver). E.g. envy24-based soundcards accept only 32bit samples, nothing else (e.g. hw:Juli). Also, various USB DACs accept various combinations of bit lenght. This sounds just like wasapi access to me.

However, some "grown-up" applications check the supported formats of the audio device specified by the user first and automatically (i.e. silently) adjust the sample width to the closest supported format. E.g. mplayer does that and plays any format even with hw:X soundcard specified. Could that be the case with foobar and wasapi?

I see.
I have never tried PurePlayer with the Tenor7022 chip that your USB to SPDIF Converter uses. Please, if possible, set it to 16, 44100 and try again with the same file (Stevie Wonder - Uptight.mp3)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

No, no Change. Still no sound. But i discovered some mono-files, that came to sound:

C:\pureplayernew>del /Q C:\pureplayernew\chk
C:\pureplayernew>set str="C:\pureplayernew\bd.mp3"
C:\pureplayernew>set ext=mp3"
C:\pureplayernew>set pre="C:\pureplayernew\bd.wav"
C:\pureplayernew>set ext1=mp3
C:\pureplayernew>set ext2=p3"
C:\pureplayernew>if "C:\pureplayernew\bd.mp3" == cd (
C:\pureplayernew\playcdtrack.bat 0 C:\pureplayernew\
goto end
)
C:\pureplayernew>if "C:\pureplayernew\bd.mp3" == cdall (
C:\pureplayernew\playcdall.bat 0 C:\pureplayernew\
goto end
)
C:\pureplayernew>cd C:\pureplayernew\
C:\pureplayernew>if 0 == 1 (
start /b /HIGH /WAIT C:\pureplayernew\flacplay_wasapi "C:\pureplayernew\bd.mp3"
C:\pureplayernew\
goto end
)
C:\pureplayernew>start /b /HIGH /WAIT C:\pureplayernew\flacplay "C:\pureplayerne
w\bd.mp3" C:\pureplayernew\
Trying to play C:\pureplayernew\bd.mp3
Using SOX...
C:\pureplayernew\sox WARN mp3-util: MAD lost sync
Decoding complete, time to wave out...
ERROR: invalid/unsupported WAVE file, only 16bps stereo WAVE in canonical form a
llowed
Playing with SOX...
C:\pureplayernew\play WARN mp3-util: MAD lost sync
C:\pureplayernew\bd.mp3:
File Size: 3.05M Bit Rate: 48.1k
Encoding: MPEG audio
Channels: 1 @ 16-bit
Samplerate: 22050Hz
Replaygain: off
Duration: 00:08:27.43
In:3.44% 00:00:17.46 [00:08:09.97] Out:385k [ -===|===- ] Clip:0

Hi,

I have a Ramdisk as my Temp-Dir. Is it possible to reroute the Temp-Dir of Pureplayer to the Ramdisk? Using "Preprocess" it builds the WAV-files in the home-directory instead of using the system's temp-dir.

There is no such parameter but i will try to include it to a future version. Can you put 'pureplayer' folder (home folder) to the ramdisk? It is better not to have spaces in the path.

No, no Change. Still no sound. But i discovered some mono-files, that came to sound:

C:\pureplayernew>del /Q C:\pureplayernew\chk
C:\pureplayernew>set str="C:\pureplayernew\bd.mp3"
C:\pureplayernew>set ext=mp3"
C:\pureplayernew>set pre="C:\pureplayernew\bd.wav"
C:\pureplayernew>set ext1=mp3
C:\pureplayernew>set ext2=p3"
C:\pureplayernew>if "C:\pureplayernew\bd.mp3" == cd (
C:\pureplayernew\playcdtrack.bat 0 C:\pureplayernew\
goto end
)
C:\pureplayernew>if "C:\pureplayernew\bd.mp3" == cdall (
C:\pureplayernew\playcdall.bat 0 C:\pureplayernew\
goto end
)
C:\pureplayernew>cd C:\pureplayernew\
C:\pureplayernew>if 0 == 1 (
start /b /HIGH /WAIT C:\pureplayernew\flacplay_wasapi "C:\pureplayernew\bd.mp3"
C:\pureplayernew\
goto end
)
C:\pureplayernew>start /b /HIGH /WAIT C:\pureplayernew\flacplay "C:\pureplayerne
w\bd.mp3" C:\pureplayernew\
Trying to play C:\pureplayernew\bd.mp3
Using SOX...
C:\pureplayernew\sox WARN mp3-util: MAD lost sync
Decoding complete, time to wave out...
ERROR: invalid/unsupported WAVE file, only 16bps stereo WAVE in canonical form a
llowed
Playing with SOX...
C:\pureplayernew\play WARN mp3-util: MAD lost sync
C:\pureplayernew\bd.mp3:
File Size: 3.05M Bit Rate: 48.1k
Encoding: MPEG audio
Channels: 1 @ 16-bit
Samplerate: 22050Hz
Replaygain: off
Duration: 00:08:27.43
In:3.44% 00:00:17.46 [00:08:09.97] Out:385k [ -===|===- ] Clip:0

Actually these files are not internally supported so sox is used for their playback.

SoX - Sound eXchange | HomePage

I have absolutely no knowledge of wasapi but your discussion resembles issues with low-level access to soundcards in linux.

The direct-access device in linux alsa hw:X accepts only formats supported by the soundcard natively (hard-coded in the corresponding driver). E.g. envy24-based soundcards accept only 32bit samples, nothing else (e.g. hw:Juli). Also, various USB DACs accept various combinations of bit lenght. This sounds just like wasapi access to me.

However, some "grown-up" applications check the supported formats of the audio device specified by the user first and automatically (i.e. silently) adjust the sample width to the closest supported format. E.g. mplayer does that and plays any format even with hw:X soundcard specified. Could that be the case with foobar and wasapi?

Totally agree. I hope some day PurePlayer "grows-up", there is a lot of work to be done and spare time is not enough. If anyone wants to participate in the development please let me know or just download the code...

No music output, when I set the Wasapi ON. This is how I do it, drag an mp3 file to the PP user interface, set Wasapi to On, decode to wav file then play wav file--->NO music. When I set Wasapi OFF, I get music.

What is happening?

Sorry if you already wrote it and I did not notice: Do you get output when you play those files with another player that uses wasapi?

Sorry if you already wrote it and I did not notice: Do you get output when you play those files with another player that uses wasapi?

No problem, I was able to play music with J Rivers set to Wasapi or Wasapi event. Please note that I am not person who is experiencing this problem. I suspect PP may set buffer size too small or large when Wasapi is turned ON. Also note that my system latency is very low when playing music, less than 500mS most of the time.

Which DAC do you have?

I use a number of DAC, the Chinese Matrix Cube based on Wolfson chipset, and also lately this cheap DAC based on ES9023 chipset, from HIFImeDIY.com costs me $59(model:UAE+), you should try this DAC it is excellent value for money, sounds very good.

Both these DACs I experienced the same problem. They don't use drivers that comes with the DAC but rather drivers inherent/embedded in Windows 7.