Pure Player

Hello npetralias.
I tried out your player and would like to ask you for an extra feature.
I use an m-audio delta 192 sound card. The operating systems shows two outputs for this card, the digital one and the analog one.
I connect my DAC to the digital output, which operates as a separate audio card from the analog one. I like to set the default sound card in windows the analog one, and set the audio player to use the digital output, so that other software won't interfere with the music playback.
In foobar i can select the ASIO digital output, but to my knowledge pureplayer can only use the default op system output card.

Also,when there is more than one track loaded in pureplayer, it is very hard to know what is the current played track.

I would love to have to possibility to downmix to stereo. Some FLAC tracks have 6 channels, and with a stereo dac and soundcard i always get the rear channels.

Unfortunately, soundwise i cannot make any difference between foobar and pureplayer.

Last edited:
Really good player

Really good sounding player, impressed !

In PurePlayer, the Wasapi check mark is not working as expected (on two different computers, both running Win7 ultimate). The song never start to play if one song in the play list, and if several, the highlighting just jumps between the songs, but no music. How is it supposed to work?

If checking the Wasapi while playing one song, the next song seems to be played with Wasapi, but this is not really clear. Can't really hear any difference :confused:

Keep up the good work !

What mean this message ?

C:\Pureplayer\pureplayer>start /b /HIGH /WAIT C:\Pureplayer\pureplayer\flacplay
"C:\Audio 96\Jazz\Azteca - Azteca [Columbia DVD-A 2496]\3. Ain't Got No Special
Woman.flac" C:\Pureplayer\pureplayer\
Trying to play C:\Audio 96\Jazz\Azteca - Azteca [Columbia DVD-A 2496]\3. Ain't G
ot No Special Woman.flac
Filetype detected: FLAC
ERROR: Cannot process input stream with more than 2 channels
Using SOX...

Npetralias, I've tried your pure player and I think it sounds nice.

However I have two requests:
- Could you instruct me how to modify the .bat file to let me route the output to my soundcard which normally I haven't set as default in windows? (like rrrremus asked as well)
- Also I would like to lower the gain level that pure player puts out. I don't feel the need for a volume control, since i can do that on my soundcard or amp, but the gain level that reaches my soundcard is too high. Is there a way to do this (lower eq output option perhaps?)

I like the interface and especially the option to add just a file, a complete directory or playlist. This is really much better than lets say jplay, cmplay or hq player, all of which sound great as well.

Thanks and good luck!

Edit: I still think it's nicely musical sounding, however a bit thin indeed when compared to the aforementioned players. So I guess that would be a third request ;)
Regards.

Last edited:
Edit: I still think it's nicely musical sounding, however a bit thin indeed when compared to the aforementioned players. So I guess that would be a third request ;)
Regards.

Henkster, have you considered the word 'PurePlayer' and that the music might appear thin just because that's what it is? The other players are perhaps distorting the sound and that is what you like, are used to? Just a thought.

To me this player is a revelation !

The other players are perhaps distorting the sound and that is what you like, are used to? Just a thought.
To me this player is a revelation !

@ Phi: thanks for the reply to what i mentioned in my post. Now I have extensively tried different players. Foobar and J-River for instance don't cut it compared to indeed the revealing sound of Pureplayer. cPlay and HQ from signalyst do sound fuller to me in the lows, but i like the interface of Pureplayer more.

Once again great initiative Petralias, looking forward to if and how you'll update pureplayer.

Hello npetralias,
I tried your player for some weeks now, and i want to thank you for your fantastic work!
Soundwise it is an audible improvement over foobar and even late JRiver versions. Clarity and focus are beautiful. Don't need more gadgets, ram playback and unpacking to wave is what i have been looking for. To be honest, the completely gui free Stealth Audio Player sounds even a tad better, but it's behaviour in case of trojan/malware is not fully clear to me, so i've been looking for an alternative that sounds good without me worrying... I am using a commercial ASIO driver (aqvox, that is), and if it's my birthday and you grant me a wish, i would like the option to choose between audio drivers more freely. Stealth Player does this via config file, not too difficult. Every driver it has recognized during the installation is shown in the file and you just have to copy and paste. That kind of versatility would be great to have in pureplayer, everything else is really good yet. Thank you for this superb player!

Hello npetralias,
I tried your player for some weeks now, and i want to thank you for your fantastic work!
Soundwise it is an audible improvement over foobar and even late JRiver versions. Clarity and focus are beautiful. Don't need more gadgets, ram playback and unpacking to wave is what i have been looking for. To be honest, the completely gui free Stealth Audio Player sounds even a tad better, but it's behaviour in case of trojan/malware is not fully clear to me, so i've been looking for an alternative that sounds good without me worrying... I am using a commercial ASIO driver (aqvox, that is), and if it's my birthday and you grant me a wish, i would like the option to choose between audio drivers more freely. Stealth Player does this via config file, not too difficult. Every driver it has recognized during the installation is shown in the file and you just have to copy and paste. That kind of versatility would be great to have in pureplayer, everything else is really good yet. Thank you for this superb player!

Thank you for your feedback and comments.
You can try also the gui-less pureplayer by running pureplayer.bat (check readme.txt).
Choosing between audio drivers is a very interesting addon and i will try to do it until next release. Unfortunately, there is not much free time for development...

Last edited:
What mean this message ?

C:\Pureplayer\pureplayer>start /b /HIGH /WAIT C:\Pureplayer\pureplayer\flacplay
"C:\Audio 96\Jazz\Azteca - Azteca [Columbia DVD-A 2496]\3. Ain't Got No Special
Woman.flac" C:\Pureplayer\pureplayer\
Trying to play C:\Audio 96\Jazz\Azteca - Azteca [Columbia DVD-A 2496]\3. Ain't G
ot No Special Woman.flac
Filetype detected: FLAC
ERROR: Cannot process input stream with more than 2 channels
Using SOX...

Obviously this flac file is multichannel (more than 2 channels).
Pureplayer's playback engine is only designed for 2 channels...

Npetralias, I've tried your pure player and I think it sounds nice.

However I have two requests:
- Could you instruct me how to modify the .bat file to let me route the output to my soundcard which normally I haven't set as default in windows? (like rrrremus asked as well)
- Also I would like to lower the gain level that pure player puts out. I don't feel the need for a volume control, since i can do that on my soundcard or amp, but the gain level that reaches my soundcard is too high. Is there a way to do this (lower eq output option perhaps?)

I like the interface and especially the option to add just a file, a complete directory or playlist. This is really much better than lets say jplay, cmplay or hq player, all of which sound great as well.

Thanks and good luck!

Regards.

Hello,

Unfortunately you cannot redirect the output by modifying the bat file.
Pureplayer has no equalizer, no volume control, it just plays the file "as is" without any kind of processing. Maybe some of your files are recorded/converted with extra gain, in this case you may consider normalizing them.

Thanks

Really good sounding player, impressed !

In PurePlayer, the Wasapi check mark is not working as expected (on two different computers, both running Win7 ultimate). The song never start to play if one song in the play list, and if several, the highlighting just jumps between the songs, but no music. How is it supposed to work?

If checking the Wasapi while playing one song, the next song seems to be played with Wasapi, but this is not really clear. Can't really hear any difference :confused:

Keep up the good work !

This problem occurs with some sound card drivers and since Pureplayer uses the Microsoft recommended Wasapi implementation, i am not really sure what is going wrong (my guess is that some driver vendors include custom Wasapi implementations). When selecting "Wasapi", please check taskmanager if flacplay.exe or flacplay_wasapi.exe is running while playing the next song and let me know.

Thanks!

Hello npetralias.

Also,when there is more than one track loaded in pureplayer, it is very hard to know what is the current played track.

I would love to have to possibility to downmix to stereo. Some FLAC tracks have 6 channels, and with a stereo dac and soundcard i always get the rear channels.

Unfortunately, soundwise i cannot make any difference between foobar and pureplayer.

The current played track is highlighted on the playlist.
You can also check the "Show Commands" option and see the track's name in the DOS window. Unfortunately, there is no downmixing option yet...

Hello npetralias.

I love your player, great peace of work.
I'm also going to try to integrate it with JRiver as default player and using JRiver as labrary management tool.

The only thing I haven't figured out yet is how to play from cue files.

I thin I have done all possible step and combination ;-) but I haven't succeeded yet in getting PurePlayer to run a cue file.

Does it handle both cue-files with each track in a seperate flac-file or does it only handle cue files with the whole disk in a single flac-file?

Could you me some step-by-step instructions on how to play a cue file?

Thank you

-
aleg

This is my first foray into using an audio player so please excuse any glaring errors/mistakes I'm making!
Pureplayer is working and sounds great thru my (crappy) laptop speakers but as I want to use a USB gamma DAC I will be getting shortly, do I need the Wasapi icon checked in Pureplayer?
I've tried that and I'm getting the same problem as phi a few posts ago.
e.g.
In PurePlayer, .... The song never start to play if one song in the play list, and if several, the highlighting just jumps between the songs, but no music.

If I select Wasapi while a song is playing then when Pureplayer tries to go to the next song it starts jumping between songs with no music (as above).

I've checked Taskmanager during playback - when Wasapi is not selected then "flacplay.exe" is showing. When Wasapi is selected, in Taskmanager the flacplay.exe is replaced by flacplay_wasapi.exe with the associated playback problems.
Any suggestions?

thanks

This problem occurs with some sound card drivers and since Pureplayer uses the Microsoft recommended Wasapi implementation, i am not really sure what is going wrong (my guess is that some driver vendors include custom Wasapi implementations). When selecting "Wasapi", please check taskmanager if flacplay.exe or flacplay_wasapi.exe is running while playing the next song and let me know.

Thanks!

Hello npetralias.

I love your player, great peace of work.
I'm also going to try to integrate it with JRiver as default player and using JRiver as labrary management tool.

The only thing I haven't figured out yet is how to play from cue files.

I thin I have done all possible step and combination ;-) but I haven't succeeded yet in getting PurePlayer to run a cue file.

Does it handle both cue-files with each track in a seperate flac-file or does it only handle cue files with the whole disk in a single flac-file?

Could you me some step-by-step instructions on how to play a cue file?

Thank you

-
aleg

It handles only the "single file" cues (takes some time to split them first). Otherwise you may just add the files to the playlist. Thanks!

This is my first foray into using an audio player so please excuse any glaring errors/mistakes I'm making!
Pureplayer is working and sounds great thru my (crappy) laptop speakers but as I want to use a USB gamma DAC I will be getting shortly, do I need the Wasapi icon checked in Pureplayer?
I've tried that and I'm getting the same problem as phi a few posts ago.
e.g.
In PurePlayer, .... The song never start to play if one song in the play list, and if several, the highlighting just jumps between the songs, but no music.

If I select Wasapi while a song is playing then when Pureplayer tries to go to the next song it starts jumping between songs with no music (as above).

I've checked Taskmanager during playback - when Wasapi is not selected then "flacplay.exe" is showing. When Wasapi is selected, in Taskmanager the flacplay.exe is replaced by flacplay_wasapi.exe with the associated playback problems.
Any suggestions?

thanks

Obviously it is not cooperating with the USB gamma DAC's drivers (or Microsoft drivers). I hope to come with a solution soon...