Pure Player

Version 2.1 is available

You can download it by right click->Save File As here (6.5MB)

New features:

-File association
-Preprocess (decode) a selected range of files from playlist ( in order to decrease the gap between tracks)
-File (and CD) conversion from almost anything to wav, flac and mp3 formats
-Option to show the Command Window while playing or not

Installation:
Unzip folder pureplayer to c:
Run PurePlayer.exe

Existing installation:
Replace c:\pureplayer folder

Microsoft .NET Framework 4 is required, available at:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...displaylang=en

@strypis: this bug is hopefully fixed

Last edited:
Works good, but still won't handle wma lossless. When I try to load a track, it sits there "processing". When I turned on the cmd window, the window refreshes again and again but too fast to see whats in the window..... Does this about 10 times before stopping. Message on the player stills says processing though.

I tried to use pureplayer to convert one of these wma lossless files to both wav and flac. The file is created in the temp folder within C:\pureplayer, but the same thing happens to this wav/flac file.

However, if I use Xrecode to change the file from wma lossless to flac first it plays that file perfectly.......

I realise this may not be worth fixing as not many may have wma lossless....

Fran

Works good, but still won't handle wma lossless. When I try to load a track, it sits there "processing". When I turned on the cmd window, the window refreshes again and again but too fast to see whats in the window..... Does this about 10 times before stopping. Message on the player stills says processing though.

I tried to use pureplayer to convert one of these wma lossless files to both wav and flac. The file is created in the temp folder within C:\pureplayer, but the same thing happens to this wav/flac file.

However, if I use Xrecode to change the file from wma lossless to flac first it plays that file perfectly.......

I realise this may not be worth fixing as not many may have wma lossless....

Fran

wma lossless format is not supported from ffmpeg, which i am using for wma decoding. There was a Microsoft decoder once available, i will try to find it and use it...

Thanks for the info!

After several weeks of use, I conclude that PurePlayer (now 2.1) is the foobar destroyer.

Bravo Nick!

PS. If only that "async play of 2 tracks" problem was resolved..

Well, let's be a little more honest. It's an alternative, but it doesn't replace Foobar on functionality just yet. Don't get me wrong, I applaud the ongoing work and it's certainly got its appeal.

You may download the new version (2.2) by right click->Save File As here (7.5MB)

Latest release: 14/04/2011

New features:

-Bugs resolved
-Cue file Playback and Split functions
-Improved decoding speed

Installation:
Unzip folder pureplayer to c:
Run PurePlayer.exe

Existing installation:
Replace c:\pureplayer folder

Microsoft .NET Framework 4 is required, available at:

Download details: Microsoft .NET Framework 4 (Web Installer)

Hopefully the next version will include Wasapi support...

So far your player reproduces sound "similar" to those from MAC players on my iMac computer.

What distinguishes the sound of MAC players?

I thought the logic is that all good debugged players should sound the same, ie it's all bits

what technically distinguishes 'good sounding' players; eg (I doubt it) the distribution of harmonics?

Or if player A is more revealing than player B, is player B not 'doing it's job' 100%?

Last edited:
What distinguishes the sound of MAC players?

I thought the logic is that all good debugged players should sound the same, ie it's all bits

what technically distinguishes 'good sounding' players; eg (I doubt it) the distribution of harmonics?

Or if player A is more revealing than player B, is player B not 'doing it's job' 100%?

I think system resources and processor loading may come into play here and affect system generated noise - assuming it cascades back into the audio band and the resulting effect is audible.